• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disabled Task Manager...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quattro

Hey,

Task Manager has been disabled on my account but works fine on other 2 limited accounts and the real administrator account.. My account is an admin account. It started saying "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator" after I installed tweakXPpro3, which is crap.

Anyway to get Task Manager back, I kinda need it to set CPU priorites and end crashing programmes... bloody beta games and such!

Cheers, I know someone will help me!

Try looking in tweakxp for the option. Or, try going to start - run - and type gpedit.msc and look in there for it. Or, you could hack the registry directly by doing this:

open regedit and browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Delete the Value DisableTaskMgr or set it to 0.

Right thanks, I'll have a go at the registry later.
I can't find anythin in tweakXP

Is not having gpedit.msc a bad thing??? Everytime I type that in run it says it doesnt exist, am I doing something wrong?

If you are running XP home you will not have it. I'm sorry, I should have specified. It's for 2k or XP pro. Here are the specific instructions:

* Click Start
* Click Run
* Enter gpedit.msc in the Open box and click OK
* In the Group Policy settings window
o Select User Configuration
o Select Administrative Templates
o Select System
o Select Ctrl+Alt+Delete options
o Select Remove Task Manager
o Double-click the Remove Task Manager option

Back