• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disappointed with overclocked temps with new FX-8370 .... opinions??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keith Myers

Got around to playing with some overclocking on my new FX-8370 chip which replaced a failed 8350. I was happy to see a stock VID of 1.30 on the new 8370 compared to the stock VID of 1.38 on the old 8350. Currently have the 8370 running at 4.6 Ghz at 1.34 Vcore and end up around 52 C. when crunching on all cores in BOINC Manager. I got the chip to run at 4.8 Ghz at 1.37V but that put me at 62 C. when fully loaded in Prime95 or OCCT. I don't want to run that hard, that close to max core temps in daily driving or crunching, so I backed on down to 4.6 Ghz. I am cooling with a Corsair H105 AIO but with Noctua NF-F12 fans instead of the stock Corsair fans. I know that the Corsair fans push more CFM but with more or less equivalent pressure compared to the Noctuas. I didn't like the noise level of the Corsair fans so I substituted the Noctuas for a quieter cooler. In retrospect, the AIO fans are the least contributor to the overall noise level of system because the fans on the dual GTX970's are the greatest producers of noise and drown out any noise from the CPU cooler. Does my temps at 4.8 Ghz appear reasonable for the necessary Vcore voltage and current cooling capabilities? Does any one believe that I would achieve better temps at 4.8 Ghz with the stock Corsair fans? If somebody jumps in here with an opinion that it wouldn't help much, I'd appreciate it for avoiding taking the system apart again to replace the fans. I'm just trying to determine whether I should invest any more time in trying to overclock the new 8370 chip. I spent about 6 hours last night to get to 4.8 Ghz and stable with no math errors. That is my prime concern, to produce good science results. I don't game. Opinions?? Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Keith

To really help we need to see some CPUZ (Main, Memory & SPD Tabs) along with HWMonitor while under load. Open CPUZ and HDMonitor on your desktop and run prime for at least 10min then take a screen shot showing your results. Take a screenshot and post that here, used the attachment tool at the top topost your pic here on OCF.

Nothing will help you aside from better cooling. Your AIO is maxed out.

....Maybe "failed" too strong a statement

Just a side note, defective processor is actually kinda rare. I'd be a bit paranoid and make sure all your voltages seem sane, scope the PSU and such...

but that's just paranoia. :D

Well, maybe "failed", states the state of the chip incorrectly. The chip is now unable to do valid math on Core#5. It bit-flips the autocorr processing state whenever a CPU task is running on that core and the task stops and restarts. Other than that, no other issues with the chip. I guess I could have just disabled that core and kept using the chip, but that would have pulled down my RAC. I could make that core behave when I just dropped back to stock speeds which dropped the Vcore down to 1.30V from its normal 1.38V VID. In the end, I splurged for a newer chip and got what I desired, a lower VID I assume from better quality control and manufacturing, and a return to normal or slightly better clock speeds and maintain the RAC on this computer.

- - - Updated - - -

That's the consensus of opinion that I expected. The AIO is just not up to task for a greater overclock. Am I correct in thinking that substituting the original stock Corsair fans would make no difference? That I am already at the maximum thermal dissipation for the radiator's surface area and increased airflow, if any, would not make any difference? Not prepared to go to the custom water cooling loop yet.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think anymore attempts at overclocking are needed. I'm pretty sure the chip can go higher, just not within the safety limits of max core temps. My AIO is just not up to it. I'd rather run at a slower and stable clock speed and within the thermal limits. I'm pretty sure my two years on air on the 8350 and right at the 62 C. limit was what fatigued Core#5 in the end. Might have been a different story is I had started on water cooling to begin with.

Corsair H105, meh.
Go custom WC or Swiftech H220-x if you want to push further.

Corsair H105, meh.
Go custom WC or Swiftech H220-x if you want to push further.

Any opinion on Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm AIO? If I replace the HAF922 with another Corsair Air 540, I theoretically could mount that in the front. I like the Air 540 case for my other system. Or maybe put in a Kraken X61 AIO. Would that be an improvement over the H105? I'm not sure whether the Swifttech H220X would even fit in either case because of its unusual footprint. I would like to see the side elevation view of that AIO. I can't tell whether the reservoir is full width or not. Also you are limited in fan position with either pull from inside or push from outside. I don't think the H220X or H240X are adequate for both CPU and dual GPU cooling. I'm thinking only a full custom water loop in a brand new case would afford me any extra overclocking overhead. That would entail significant cost. Thoughts on the Thermaltak or Kraken?

My opinion:
Don't waste money on another AIO. They all perform about the same on a FX. If you want a bigger OC or cooler temps, full on custom water is mandatory.

My opinion:
Don't waste money on another AIO. They all perform about the same on a FX. If you want a bigger OC or cooler temps, full on custom water is mandatory.

This.
The only reason I recommended the Swiftech is because the components it uses are simply bundled, ready-to-install, custom parts.

What about other kits ?

I consider the Swiftech as more of a 'kit' than an AIO.

What do you think of the EKWB or XSPC water cooling "kits? Are any of them worthwhile? Or is a full custom, single parted water cooling loop the only reasonable solution? An another thought ... what case is worthy of trying my hand out with a full custom water loop since that would be the first part in consideration?

Last edited:
The kits are fine, as long as it's a properly sized one. Don't be thinking that a single 120 rad will be enough. It won't. Pending what you're doing and how much overclock, and how sensitive you are to noise, a 240 might not be enough either.

Well since I am already using a 240mm AIO and not cutting it, I assumed I would have to move to at least a 360mm radiator.

Because of the cost of investing in a full watercooling system if you wanted to upgrade that, wouldn't you be better off spending it on another video card if you are only wanting more points/boinc power?

Because of the cost of investing in a full watercooling system if you wanted to upgrade that, wouldn't you be better off spending it on another video card if you are only wanting more points/boinc power?

Yes, that would be true. I already run two GTX970 cards and my Sabertooth 990FX doesn't have any more room to fit another card. I don't think it would even matter it would be a X8 PCIe slot speed. I've learned you just should not crowd these double wide video cards, they need at least one slot of free spacing to breathe. Do do a 3 card system, it would not just be another card, it would have to be another motherboard to allow 3 cards. So right there, you are already bumping into the pricing of a custom water loop, not counting the new case necessary.

Back