• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Divvi's WC Build Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
that is a nice clean look. excellent short loop.

I loled when I realized you had printed out the MOBO to test build. THat was kinda awesome:)

that is a nice clean look. excellent short loop.

I loled when I realized you had printed out the MOBO to test build. THat was kinda awesome:)

WOAH, I didn't even notice that till I read your comment...I need to read less quickly lol

Looking great so far! I like the sleek, not ridiculous look it has. Subscribed!

ok wow. that's also awesome.

Thanks! Build is on hold again until I get the bitspower extender from jab-tech. Should be here on Saturday, or maybe even tomorrow....

On another subject, does anyone know what screw size the threads for SSDs take? I have a Vertex and a Falcon that I need to mount. Its not 6/32 because I have plenty of those :(

EDIT: Nvm, found it. I believe they are M3 Threads.

The res-pump combo in a single piece is pretty cool, i figured i'd want to do something like that so that i wouldn't have to install res brackets or anything.

Very good choice of parts! :thup:

I do have my reservations about the gold, though. If it's only on the outisde then that's good.
If it's in contact with the water then that's not so good ... :-/

Very good choice of parts! :thup:

I do have my reservations about the gold, though. If it's only on the outisde then that's good.
If it's in contact with the water then that's not so good ... :-/

How so? Gold is extremely non-reactive, much less that copper which its used on most blocks......

Well, that all depends on how you define "reactive". The thing with WC loops isn't so much how reactive the metal is with the water, it's how reactive it is with the other metals in the loop. That's why we all say copper and aluminum don't mix because their anodic index difference is 0.40, which means you'll have galvanic corrosion problems. This brings up the point I was making with gold. As you pointed out most of our loops are copper. Copper has an anodic index of 0.35 and gold has an index of 0.00 making the 0.35 difference very close to the copper/aluminum difference. In other words, copper with gold is almost as reactive (as far as galvanic corrosion goes) as copper with aluminum. That's not good.

I've seen their gold-plated fittings as well. If the gold doesn't contact the water then everything is fine but if it is in contact with the water then whoever thought that up over at Ek should be shot. :mad: It may also be why the gold was cheaper than the full copper ...

Last edited:
Well, that all depends on how you define "reactive". The thing with WC loops isn't so much how reactive the metal is with the water, it's how reactive it is with the other metals in the loop. That's why we all say copper and aluminum don't mix because their anodic index difference is 0.40, which means you'll have galvanic corrosion problems. This brings up the point I was making with gold. As you pointed out most of our loops are copper. Copper has an anodic index of 0.35 and gold has an index of 0.00 making the 0.35 difference very close to the copper/aluminum difference. In other words, copper with gold is almost as reactive (as far as galvanic corrosion goes) as copper with aluminum. That's not good.

I've seen their gold-plated fittings as well. If the gold doesn't contact the water then everything is fine but if it is in contact with the water then whoever thought that up over at Ek should be shot. :mad: It may also be why the gold was cheaper than the full copper ...

I see your point. I will definitely watch out for this. Actually, I'll send a email to EK to investigate the matter. Thanks for the heads up.

I've been doing some reading on the galvanic corrosion as I am kind of rusty on the topic since I took Gen Chem knowledge seems to be failing me. From what I understand, it is not the anodic properities of aluminum that prevents us from using aluminum and copper together, but rather the cathodic properties of copper. The potential differentiate between copper and Aluminum is 2.01, while the difference between copper and gold is merely .5. Here is what I am referring to: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/electrode-potential-d_482.html

My understanding was that those properties change in various environments. I ran across a couple of different tables when researching several months ago (when I first noticed the gold fittings). Those tables do indicate a lower differential between gold/copper than copper/aluminum but not nearly as low as the table you linked shows. You might want to check the electrode potentials in water specifically. Here's the first chart that happened to pop up on search. I'm not familiar with that site but there are other, similar tables out there.

And, yeah - it's been awhile since I had chemistry as well so maybe I'm out in left field. LOL!
I just hope you're right and it isn't an issue ...

I was under the impression that gold is resistant to corrosion and like nickel is suitable for plating.

I was under the impression that gold is resistant to corrosion and like nickel is suitable for plating.
Gold doesn't oxidize very easily if that's what you mean and because of it's atomic structure it can resist some acids but that doesn't mean it's as chemically neutral as, say, neon. Gold is still a metal and it's even a good electrical conductor, which means it can exchange electrons fairly easily ...

Gold doesn't oxidize very easily if that's what you mean and because of it's atomic structure it can resist some acids but that doesn't mean it's as chemically neutral as, say, neon. Gold is still a metal and it's even a good electrical conductor, which means it can exchange electrons fairly easily ...

You brought up a valid point about acids. However, discounting water's acid properties, 10^-7 M, as long as I keep my loop clean and maintain it properly, acidity shouldn't be a problem :p

I sent an email to EK last night, I'm sort of interested in what they have to say.

Back