• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Divvi's WC Build Log

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here's the reply that I got from EK's director of Research, development and quality:

Hello,

We do not need to make studies on that. Gold (alloy) has anodic index 0, so it wont have any negative effect on copper.

No reports either and I will be very surprised if any occur.

Please note that gold plating is well known to PCB industry and it is used exactly for corrosion protective purposes.

Best regards,

Gregor Hribernik

Well, that gives me a better feeling. I'll still take a look when I do my 6 month cleaning, however, the only copper I have is the rad, so might not be able to see anything.........

Oh, and got a package today:

extender.jpg

Final Assembly to come.

Last edited:
Well, here is the final build update:

Stripping down the 470 in preparation for the new WB:

470_shroud_removed.jpg

470_naked.jpg

There was a ridiculous amount of TIM on the core and heatsink. With how hot these get, you would think they would do a better job.......

Cleaned up:

470_cleaned.jpg

With AS5 applied:

470_TIM_applied.jpg

470 Block with thermal pads applied. I also cleaned the block itself with alcohol to remove the ugliness:

470_thermal_pads.jpg

470 with its new partner:

koolance_470.jpg

When I attached the compression fitting to the back of the block, almost had another fitment issue:

470_compression.jpg

Because of the triple Rad, I only have room for one harddrive placed below the Optical, so I had to come up with a solution for my 2 SSDs:

hd_mounted.jpg

I modified the stock Corsair 1200 Sata cables with the 2 right angle adapters I bought. Used the dremel to make extra holes in the side of the case.

After about 9 hours of assembly including the time to mount the SSDs, here is the final product:

finished1.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished3.jpg

Reservoir with Silver Kill Coil:

finished4.jpg

finished5.jpg

finished6.jpg

It was a lot of fun to do, and if anyway is considering it, I say definitely go for it.

Of course, none of this would have been possible without this forum. The wealth of information and knowledge of members is second to none. So thank OCF!

final build looks great, i like how your loop is neat as opposed to all those plate of spaghetti rigs ive been seeing lately.

you have to drill the holes yourself or were they already spaced right?

I used one existing hole, then drilled the other 3 for each drive. The case is tough, I went through 3 "cheap" drill bits before switching to a bit that could get the job done.

Why is the CPU block upside down? That is one epic build, wish I planned mine more thoughtfully... I have a same res and had to shove it above the motherboard horizontally as it didn't like the length of my card...

I used one existing hole, then drilled the other 3 for each drive. The case is tough, I went through 3 "cheap" drill bits before switching to a bit that could get the job done.

ah, cool, i really like the way that looks (hell, I like the whole thing...but for some reason that in particular)

Why is the CPU block upside down? That is one epic build, wish I planned mine more thoughtfully... I have a same res and had to shove it above the motherboard horizontally as it didn't like the length of my card...

It's upside down because the holes are specific as to being input and output. If it was the right way up, they would have to be opposite of what they are, and the tubing would be "spaghetti like" as referred to above :)

I wanted to keep it is simple as possible :clap:

It's upside down because the holes are specific as to being input and output. If it was the right way up, they would have to be opposite of what they are, and the tubing would be "spaghetti like" as referred to above :)

I wanted to keep it is simple as possible :clap:

that does seem like a bit of an oversight on the part of ek, putting the inlet on the left...

Back