• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY bolt through kit?? anyone make one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kellygtp

Anyone ever make a DIY bold through kit??

i dont have much for plans this weekend to do ANYTHING but play with the PC and stuff....so i was gonne go to the hardware store and try and fabricate a bolt thru kit for my OCZ vendetta 2..

Anyone ever make one? any tips??

i remember seeing someone doing it on here before but cant find the thread...i do have the picture for the stuff you need hopefully the original person will see it and chime in on what they did. iirc they even made a backplate

Hopefully nd4spdbh2 will drop in your thread here; he has made a few in the past IIRC. He used some steel and made an "X" shape out if it I believe and then used some platic or rubber washers to insulate it from the mobo. Look at the design of a Thermalright backplate and it will give you an idea of what you need to do for a backplate and you can find rubber washers or a piece of rubber at a hardware store or a Lowes or Home Depot. If you want to use 6-32 studs and springs instead of screws to hold it down those same stores should provide you with the materials needed also.

you will need to reuse the push pin mounting system otherwise you wont have anything to bolt through on the heatsink.

Remove the push pins and use the metal that attaches to the sink to bolt through

yup i have made my own bolt through / backplate kits for 3 different comps... one for socket 775, 939, and 478.

Here is the backplate and mounting of my 775 backplate and custom mounting bracket to mount my socket 478 SI-120 to it. ... I used a piece of 1/8in T6061 aluminum some 6/32nd screws with angled heads to fit into the counter sunk holes on the backplate... as for insulation i used some neoprean washers... I have used this same backplate and screws to attach a standard 775 heatsink without probs, i just had to make the special brackets for the SI-120 as it was not ment for 775.

If you plan on making a bolt though you should 100% for sure also make a backplate otherwise your gonna be bending your mobo like no tommorrow... hell the stock heatsink with its crappy pushpins bends just about any board.

P2170036.JPG

P2170037.JPG

P2170047.JPG

Glad you saw this thread, nd4spdbh2, because I knew that you had made some very good backplates before. :thup:

haha im usually pretty active in the cooling section... i woulda made it here at some point today.

where did you get the springs at??

the back plate is pretty bad ***...

The springs as well as all the hardware i got at my local hardware store. I have a big pet peeve of motherboards bending due to heatsinks... absolutly hate it. that back plate is so overkill its not even funny... 1/8th in of T6061 aircraft aluminum... and that has the cutout legs and even with the skinnier legs theres no way a heatsink is bending that... the one thats even worse is my socket 478 backplate... there wernt any capacitator legs or things of the sort to get in the way so its a big rectangle of the same aluminum. that mobo had a huge bow in it from the stock heatsink over 5 years... if you took a striaght edge placed it on the back and lined up 2 of the diagonal mounting holes the center of the cpu area was a 1/8th of an inch higher than the holes without any heatsink pushing on the cpu!!! :eek:

It looks like nd4spdbh2 and I both shop at True Value/Anawalt. I've found True Value to be a better WC hardware store than my local Lowe's or Home Depot. The hardware section has screws, bolts, nuts, washers, bushings, springs, and all sorts of other fittings all down the same isle... a huge time saver :).

Obviously you can't really take advantage of this since you're on an LGA775 board, but I usually run threaded rod or long 6-32 screws backwards through AM2 mounting plates when mounting blocks on AMD setups. If you have a backplate from any other heatsink where the sink bolts into the backplate, you should be able to do the same.

It looks like nd4spdbh2 and I both shop at True Value/Anawalt. I've found True Value to be a better WC hardware store than my local Lowe's or Home Depot. The hardware section has screws, bolts, nuts, washers, bushings, springs, and all sorts of other fittings all down the same isle... a huge time saver :).

Obviously you can't really take advantage of this since you're on an LGA775 board, but I usually run threaded rod or long 6-32 screws backwards through AM2 mounting plates when mounting blocks on AMD setups. If you have a backplate from any other heatsink where the sink bolts into the backplate, you should be able to do the same.

Ya i dont even bother gettin screws and stuff at lowes / home depot... i go to B and B hardware like 2 miles away from my house... every type of friggin nut and bolt and goodie of the sort you could imagine!

how does this look??
i8fx11kp5xgpltu6t0.jpg

Put a huge rubber washer in the middle of the plate and covered it as well...
nyosxf7tb79ua3pdpzx.jpg

covered the whole thing with this....
6p4w94qim8nbytueoal3.jpg

Hey Guys, I was wondering if nd4spdbh2 is still around? The guy with the BH avatar.

I'm about to faint trying to find a proper bolt-thru backplate kit to hold a Scythe Ninja 2 on a socket 478 board (Asus P4C800-E Deluxe).

Here's the backplate system I found to replace the ridiculous push-pin system that the Scythe Ninja 2 came with: http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/cpu-retainer-clip-intel-p4-4781.html

My question for nd4spdbh2 is, is that (linked above) what I need?
Does Thermalright make a Bolt-thru kit for 478?
Would I just be better off fabricating one on my own?

Thanks for any help! Please.

Last edited:
Saw him post not too long ago...but I'm not sure if he actually follows the forums anymore. Have you tried to contact the manufacturer?

Thanks kindly for the reply, m0r7if3r.

I contacted Scythe and they don't offer a bolt-through kit for socket 478 and they don't have a solution.

My only hope is Thermalrights awesome bolt-thru kit for socket 478 but it's impossible to find that kit now. Thermalright doesn't offer it any longer.

So I guess the speed of technology has left me in the dust to fabricate a socket 478 back plate for my Scythe Ninja 2 on my own.

Hopefully nd4spdbh2 will pop in. I have absolutely zero tinkering/mechanical skills. I've just never been good with hardware.
Thanks again.

Here's the backplate system I found to replace the ridiculous push-pin system that the Scythe Ninja 2 came with: http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/cpu-retainer-clip-intel-p4-4781.html

Well/ looks like that backplate kit isn't what I need after all. All it does is bolt through to the black, plastic square CPU fan holder/clip on. I need more support than that.
Looks like I'm building my own. This is going to get ugly. Farewell, men. I'm off to the hardware store. :salute:

Back