• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Subwoofer Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nevrsumr22 said:
Good job going DIY. Here is mine I built over the summer. Dayton Titanic 12" and BASH 300W in a 3.8 ft^3 enclosure tuned to around 22Hz. It has a 4" port 16" deep flared on both ends. I have this corner loaded behind my 51" TV and it will blur your vision on the right scene lol.

interior_finished.jpg

I have that same amp, its a good solid one :D

Hipcrostino said:
Don't forget it all about the listener too. You might like the BOOM of a port, but i like the responce of a sealed box. (i listen almost exclusively to dance music, so you need it :D )

Heres a thought, i know you guys are using this stuff for home theaters etc, but why not look at some car audio stuff? There is some insane stuff out there, e.g Ecilpse SW9132 Pro 18" or 15", 3.5" Xmax :D hehehe. anyway, don't bag me cause i said it.
yep i listen to some dance music with the tangbang 8inch 740c with 12db at 40hz boost and man it sound nice. even for some rap as well, the amp is limited since its not rated for 2ohm usage. i had to run both in paralle for [email protected] (guess) since each one is [email protected]. for ht i plan on a 12inch dayton hi-fi with the pe-500watt or bash 500watt. need to wait till tax return though , as i am now unable to work for 5-8wks.

PRIVATEpastry said:
How can I have a sealed HT sub? No offense, but are you serious?
1) Sound quality
2) Space requirements

Sure a ported box, considering it is built well, can get low and loud. The drawback of ported boxes is that there is a much higher sound delay when compared to sealed boxes. This is why people sometimes describe ported boxes as "muddy" or "sloppy."

You're right about ported boxes hitting the lower notes better than sealed boxes would. The sealed boxes will still hit the low notes (20-40Hz) but just without as much gusto, if you will. IMO, being able to hit lower notes louder is not worth the increase in the group delay.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear home theater is extremely loud with alot of room shaking bass.

How big is the room this is going into? my bedroom is small, my full sized bed(smalled than a queen, bigger than a twin) takes up half the room, and my current setup of 4 10"s(TC-1000's) in a ported enclosure tuned to 22hz is hardly enough bass for the room :shrug:

denz_1 said:
My new Project might be
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-808
1Kw Amp or the 500Watt Version (save me a bit of money as I have to import it, pay duty and then tax on it :s plus exchange rate!)
and I REALLY want this sub
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-420
That with a Dual Port Box I "might" even put the Amp in a seperate box and have terminals on each box, one with the Driver one with the Amp

YEEEAAAA!!!!!

Last edited:
nvidiaOCmaster said:
The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear home theater is extremely loud with alot of room shaking bass.

How big is the room this is going into?
About 12' x 15'. And, FYI, it doesn't have to "shake the room" to sound good.

PRIVATEpastry said:
About 12' x 15'. And, FYI, it doesn't have to "shake the room" to sound good.

Of course not, but It makes some movies more intense and it makes games about 100X better imo.

"Room Shaking" Is an expression ;)

EDIT: your avatar is great :D

nvidiaOCmaster said:
Of course not, but It makes some movies more intense and it makes games about 100X better imo.

"Room Shaking" Is an expression ;)

EDIT: your avatar is great :D
Well thats a difference in personal opinion, then.

P.S. Thanks for the av compliment.

My speakers are Kef C30's That model and even these speakers have been and sometimes are used as monitors at recording studios, radiostations etc
Unless my set up is going to be incredibly sloppy (id love to know of anyone who has heard a titanic 15" sub) I think I will be ok with it.
Worse comes to worse I can change the driver if it is really bad. But?
lol I have been here for well more than a year than him and im only one star ahead :p (which I belived I gained in the last 2 months)

denz_1 said:
My speakers are Kef C30's That model and even these speakers have been and sometimes are used as monitors at recording studios, radiostations etc
Unless my set up is going to be incredibly sloppy (id love to know of anyone who has heard a titanic 15" sub) I think I will be ok with it.
Worse comes to worse I can change the driver if it is really bad. But?
lol I have been here for well more than a year than him and im only one star ahead :p (which I belived I gained in the last 2 months)
you will have to redo the box or find one the same size that will work in the same volume and retune the box.

Allright, back on topic fellas. I got some wood filler at HD today and went over all the ends and spots where the sides didn't level out with each other.

DSCN7380.jpg

I also picked up some weather stripping.

Bah, I have decided that the $400 it would cost me to get the product here isnt worth it, guess i'll be sourcing stuff from NZ :(
No 500/1000watt amp :(
No 15" sub either I would say oh well
Btw its looking nice, I never filled and sanded my box, but I will next time.

Well I got the stuff in today, and I realized that the hole that I jigged in the flush mount baffle was about 1/16" too small all around. :(

Here comes a lot of hand sanding...

I FINALLY got all the sanding done, it took forever. Here's a picture of the box with all the sanding of the flush mount baffle done and the weather stripping applied:

DSCN7382.jpg

And here is a picture with both the amp and the sub installed:

DSCN7383.jpg

Now... I have no clue how to hook it up to my computer. I have the 3.5mm jack -> 2 RCA jack cable, and I hooked it up to the black colored plug on my computer, but I'm not getting sound out of the sub.

I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to the computer part... :( Help anyone?

shard said:
Try just plugging the sub into the green jack, and see what happens.
It plays if I plug it into the green jack... Maybe the output is bad on the other jacks? I tried all the other outputs...

Back