• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DIY Subwoofer Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Allright, I got the wood filler all done and sanded. Here's a picture of it sitting on the end of a broom handle that I stuck in my yard:

DSCN7396.jpg

And here it is primed:

DSCN7397.jpg

I used a can of Kilz primer (the cheap kind) that I had laying around. It sucks, don't use it if you don't have to. Use the Duplicolor high build primer that you can get at Autozone.

Anyways, I had a drip on the front, you might be able to see it. I'll get it sanded down as soon as it dries all the way. I need to make a run to HD to pick up some flat black paint as well.

nachosyumm said:
flat black? My personally favorite is the laquer black. That stuff is durable and shiny. Anyways, its turning out good.
Yeah, flat black. I think it will look nice with the brushed metal of the amp. I made a trip to HD, and got the paint. Here's the first coat of flat black:

DSCN7399.jpg

Second coat:

DSCN7400.jpg

Third and final coat:

DSCN7401.jpg

Each coat took a little more than a half of a can. Two cans with a little to spare. It's still out in the yard drying, and it has been misting off and on all day, so I hope it doesn't start back up here in the next 10 minutes.

With my next build what im going to cover it with is the only question I dont really have answerd.
Its not going to be as small as that, so I dont know if spray cans will do.
I might paint it with a roller... hmmm... who knows.
A couple of coats of gloss black and a sealant

denz_1 said:
With my next build what im going to cover it with is the only question I dont really have answerd.
Its not going to be as small as that, so I dont know if spray cans will do.
I might paint it with a roller... hmmm... who knows.
A couple of coats of gloss black and a sealant
Haha, spraypaint will cover anything. We used about 70 cans of spraypaint on our high school football truck - a 1978 Chevy.

Well here she is, with the amp and sub installed:

DSCN7402.jpg

And here it is under the desk by my computer:

DSCN7408.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and post some pictures in the DIY thread now. I think it turned out pretty good.

nachosyumm said:
how does it sound?
It sounds pretty good right now. I still have a little bit of tweaking and equalizing to do. I don't have the most advanced equalizer software or hardware with the integrated sound. I just gotta spend some time tweakin around.

Well, after listening to some music on the web, i.e. Myspace, I've noticed that there is no output from the sub from audio that I am streaming from a website. Is there anything that I need to install with Firefox to aid this?

TTP said:
I concur.. don't listen to the web. Play a CD through your PC and calibrate it based on that.
I'm not calibrating my speakers based on music that I stream off the web, I was just wondering why it sounds bad.

I wish people would actually read what I posted. I said that it works for winamp and wmp and whatnot, just not firefox.

Back