• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I definitely need a stronger cooler? What happens if I don't?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hasselblad

Registered
I have a i7 Intel i7 3770k 3.5. I would like to overclock it. Do I definitely need a stronger cooler? What happens if I don't have it? Will the CPU slower or the heat will damage my CPU?

I am sorry for the simple question!

You should be able to hit anywhere between 4.4-4.6GHz on the stock cooler, a 4.5GHz clock requiring in the neighborhood of 1.25-1.28V, w/ core temp's still remaining at a reasonable level depending on the case / ambient temp.

You can overclock, just watch your temperatures. At 105C, the CPU will downclock itself to prevent heat damage. You want to stay 10-15C away from that point at full (Prime95) load.

BIOS to overclock.

To stress test, you have to boot into Windows. Use Prime95 to apply a full load to your CPU and RealTemp to monitor your temperatures.

My 3770k overheats at 4.3GHz on the stock cooler, 4.2 is doable though.

BIOS to overclock.

To stress test, you have to boot into Windows. Use Prime95 to apply a full load to your CPU and RealTemp to monitor your temperatures.

Awesome! This is what I needed! Thanks!

Your limits will vary. Some people have been able to go higher. Others won't do >4GHz on the stock cooler.

Back