• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have enough power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbennett4478

I was wondering if an EVGA 650 Watt power supply would be able to power my rig. My build is: i7-4790k, sapphire r9 290x 4gb, MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard, Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler, 2 x Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory, Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive, Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, and 5 Rosewill RFA-120-RL 74.5 CFM 120mm Fan.

The 290x is a 250W GPU. If you overclock it without modifying the bios to bypass built in limits, it will pull, at most around 300W or so. Your CPU is 88W. Overclock that to the max on air, and you will be around 110W give or take. The rest of your stuff, 50-75W? So if ALL these things are running 100% at the same time (that doesn't happen really unless you are stress testing), do the math and you can see that is around 485W. Your real world loads with everything fully overclocked will likely be around 400W.

The always over estimate because a lot of people cheap out on the power supply. So they make sure there is ample headroom for such units.

I run 2 280x cards on a 600 watt psu with a 4790k at 4.8, no issues at all.

Hi there.

I agree with the others - 650W PSU will be plenty for the current configuration. The GPU you've selected consumes max of 300W, and even if you decide to overclock the CPU you will still have few wattages aside which is a great option because it will be better if the PSU not to be stressed beyond maybe 80% of its total power for prolonged amounts of time.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Cheers! :)

Back