• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I have the worst E8400 in existance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WorshipMe

About a week ago, I got my two E8400s. Batch numbers are Q745A and Q806A, supposed to be two of the best batches.

So, I dropped the Q745 in to my MSI P35 Neo2 (BIOS V1.8). VID was read as 1.375V, so far so good.
This chip topped out at 3.6GHz (400x9) with 1.45V (BIOS) 1.44V Idle and 1.425V load. NB voltage, FSB voltage, SB, nothing helped and as soon as I tried to reduce the Vcore I lost stability.

Oh well, perhaps the Q806A would be better. I aimed for 3.6 again and achieved a boot into Windows at 1.25V. 4GHz came at 1.4125V BIOS. 1.41V idle and 1.4V load. It's not the greatest chip but it was an improvement over my other useless one.

Below is the lowest Vcore I could boot into Windows with (not Prime stable), and as you can see, the thermal diodes are stuck (I've contacted Intel about it, awaiting response):

I have only just had this MSI board for about a week though and I really don't like the BIOS. I'd like a CPU PLL voltage adjustment though too.

I can't say this is my max OC until I get my P5K back which I am familiar with and know all it's querks.

So, the point of this thread is, are there other people who are needing this much juice? Does anyone have any problems with the MSI BIOS? I hit 520FSB on this board and Vdroop is almost non-existant so I'm pretty sure it's not holding me back but I will be testing with my P5K when I get it back.

Your memory.

Why is it at 4-4-4-10? It's PC6400 right?

You'll need to set it to 5-5-5-18 or... like in my sig.

Your memory.

Why is it at 4-4-4-10? It's PC6400 right?

You'll need to set it to 5-5-5-18 or... like in my sig.

I had relaxed the timings. It was running at those timings when I had my Q6600.

I did 500 x 6 and my memory followed me all the way.

Also, if it was my memory, increasing the Vcore would not grant stability.

What voltage did you use for your memory? At high FSB, you also need high voltage for memory on the top of the relaxed timing.

1.37 vid...thats a little high

Errr, that's Vcore, not VID.

What voltage did you use for your memory? At high FSB, you also need high voltage for memory on the top of the relaxed timing.

No difference. My RAM can run fine with 2.1V @ 450 FSB. I was running 500 FSB with 2.1V also.

Not all E8400s can do 4ghz on low volts, I've seen a few that need 1.4V+ load voltage so to answer your question definetly not the worst in existence. Might do better on the P5K.

Not that great, but not that bad either.
If it is that bad to live with, flick it and get enougher.

I get similar results from my E8400,,, in order to get it prime stable at 3.6ghz ive gotta pump 1.4v into it,,, it'l run decent at 1.35v though
My VID is 1.25v

so wait, Ive seen people hitting 4.xxghz with the e8400, is that only because they are using liquid cooling or phase changing ?
I ask because I was thinking of getting that chip so I could break the 4ghz barrier (and not interested in a quad core just yet), as my current AMD struggles to hit 3.45g stable, and my other rig with the e6850 I havent really pushed, but Ive not heard anyone breaking 3.6g with that proc either.

so wait, Ive seen people hitting 4.xxghz with the e8400, is that only because they are using liquid cooling or phase changing ?
I ask because I was thinking of getting that chip so I could break the 4ghz barrier (and not interested in a quad core just yet), as my current AMD struggles to hit 3.45g stable, and my other rig with the e6850 I havent really pushed, but Ive not heard anyone breaking 3.6g with that proc either.

While water helps with the temps, you should be able to break 4GHz on air.

E3110 is a good choice as chances are it will do more on less voltage, a $25 Freezer 7 Pro or Scythe Katana 2 is all you really need as far as cooling.

Heat won't really be a problem as much as the voltage your putting into it, unless your going for 5ghz air cooling is plenty.

While water helps with the temps, you should be able to break 4GHz on air.
thats what I had read, which was why I was concerned that maybe I mis-read something :)
thanks for the reply, now it makes me want the chip that much faster to see what I can do with it and my LC loop :D

Small FFTs. I think I can do 3.9Ghz with no more voltage which will be good as I'm not going to push any more into a 45nm CPU.

Back