• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need to upgrade fans on an old case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

John.Mudie

I have a Lian Li PC60 Plus case and am planning on putting an Asus M5A97 R2.0 motherboard in it. The motherboard has a 4-pin CPU Fan and 3 4-pin CHA_Fan connectors and says it has an ASUS Fan Xpert capability.
But the chassis has
1/ a 3-pin wire connection to a 3" fan on the back
2/ 2 4-in fans on the front which go into something on the front panel and land up in a 4-pin Molex
3/ a 3" fan on the top which goes into a Molex connector.

If I use the fans the way they are (i.e. no control by Fan Xpert) will my CPU fry or do you think I can use the current fan combination safely ?

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

John

Staying with the stock setup certainly isn't going to damage your processor. Just make sure that you have enough airflow to keep the components cool. If the fans don't have enough airflow or the bearings are shot, then replace them.

Old fans can be reused as long as the bearings are still good. Beware that depending on what the setup was designed for, it might not have enough cooling capacity for your new setup.

Back