• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I require higher CPU-NB voltage for dual channel, even for stock clocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RJARRRPCGP

Intel Burn Test was failing at stock on my AM3+ rig! (Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P with FX 8350) (same motherboard as isogamer)
With the PNY dual channel 1333 2x4GB DDR 3 kit I installed today.

Seems that it's fine now when using 2 different brands in single channel mode, LOL.

Sounds like the Cpu Nb voltage may be too low. I think it's call the Cpu NB Vid on that board, usually giving it a bump to 1.25-1.35v will help.

Still failing even with "NB core" set to 1.28 V. I'm running out of options!

You shouldn't need any higher CPU-NB voltage than stock at least up to DDR3-1866 on 2 memory slots. If it's not working then something isn't right with motherboard or it simply doesn't like memory profiles ( not all timings you can set in BIOS ). Most memory kits on the market are prepared for Intel platform, not AMD. Brands like Patriot or G.Skill are testing memory for AMD boards.

Looks like AMD may need to be executed! I may have a faulty IMC! Does AMD have horrible QC? From my buddy's FX 9590 to my FX 8350.

This is a 2014 chip!

This is with 1 stick of HyperX:

I can't get more than 4 passes and usually fails after 1 pass with 2x4GB.

Attachments

• Linpack_Passed_With_Single_RAM_Stick.jpg
    Linpack_Passed_With_Single_RAM_Stick.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 198
You shouldn't need any higher CPU-NB voltage than stock at least up to DDR3-1866 on 2 memory slots. If it's not working then something isn't right with motherboard or it simply doesn't like memory profiles ( not all timings you can set in BIOS ). Most memory kits on the market are prepared for Intel platform, not AMD. Brands like Patriot or G.Skill are testing memory for AMD boards.

I can't pass with 1333 nor 1066 and not much change with "NB core" raised to 1.28 V.
Do I have to throw away both the motherboard and processor?

AMD FX CPUs have default memory clock of DDR3-1866 and IMC should run at least at this speed without raising any voltage. If it's not working then you can make RMA. However it's higher chance that your memory is not prepared to work on AMD boards or you set something wrong in timings.

You should upload screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory as well as run 20 minutes of prime blend with HWmonitor open and post a screen shot of HWmonitor. It will give us a better idea of what is going on with the setup. Have you tried running memtest to see if it's definitely a memory related issue?

What about auto SPD?
In any case have you tried setting timings manually if not?

Back