• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do Intel CPUs have higher operating temperatures?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firestrider

When compared to AMD processors?

I would think that have a higher operating temperature would bode well for the energy efficiency of data centers / server rooms.

I know at my work the server room has an AC unit that keeps the room at 65*F, with a backup AC if the room gets hotter than 70*F. Wouldn't having a higher operating temperature potentially mean less energy consumed by the AC?

Do you mean maximum tolerance or their general operational temperatures?

I'm saying the following presuming you mean the first of the two.

CPU temperatures and their maximum tolerance is a very convoluted and controversial subject. There exists no fixed standard protocol for measuring and setting the boundaries from one CPU generation to another nor from one manufacturer to another, hence they end up giving different ratings which may or may not coincide with realistic measurements or maximums. So far, they haven't. Needless to say that they are completely incomparable which makes such comparisons impossible unless someone can measure all of their thermally activated shutdown points using an embedded k-type for a few CPUs each. Then, you'll have a fixed measurement scale to compare against. Generally, the maximum ratings for such silicon is based on the current and hence power requirement and they should be very close to one another for a given amperage/wattage in reality (regardless of what the MFG officially states). Typically that varies from 85-120 degrees centigrade, with the lowest temperature being for the highest power SKU.

Higher operating temperature of a CPU means higher leakage current which ends up being a cyclic cause-effect relationship producing knock-on effects, in that, higher leakage would cause higher silicon temperature which will cause higher resistance - in all, it means higher power draw. Not something you want to have.

The lower the temperature, the lower the leakage currents, internal resistance, and power of the device.

Back