• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do most motherboards that support i5 processors support sli?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimbob1141

Registered
my friend is giving me his old PC, it has an i5 processor and 1GB rAM (im going to upgrade of course)

so im just wondering if most motherboards that support i5 processor have sli support? im not sure if its a 1155 or 1156 socket.

he said the PC is huge and heavy so my guess would be it has an atx board in it.

Neither feature is dependent of the other. You would need to know the model to know.

Welcome to the Forums i think the best you could do at this time is go back to your friend. And try to get the most information you can, so the members can help and advise you the best they can. So keep this thread open for now and come back and post when you have the Info! AJ.

p.s. Not all boards support Sli and depending which i5 it is we can give you options!

Welcome to the Forums i think the best you could do at this time is go back to your friend. And try to get the most information you can, so the members can help and advise you the best they can. So keep this thread open for now and come back and post when you have the Info! AJ.

p.s. Not all boards support Sli and depending which i5 it is we can give you options!

I didnt think i could an answer with that limited info, i jsut wanted to check just incase xD

Well im picking up the PC on monday, so i shall post then.

as far as i know all i5 motherboards support ddr3 memory?
I already have a radeon 5450 spare (not the best i know, but its a card none the less)
and then most likely 8GB RAM.

And if it happens to be an SLI supporting board ill buy another 5450 as its cheap and apaprently scales well with SLI, and im not going to be playing particularly graphically intense games :p

one question though, do 1156 socket boards support DDR3?

All i5 processors support DDR3 only. 1156 is one of the i5-capable motherboards, so yes, it is DDR3.

Try to do the best you can in getting the most Info my friend see you later! AJ.

Yup, all Intel chipsets from X58 onward support SLI.
Individual motherboards don't always, you need to have enough PCIe slots connected to the CPU.

Back