• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations for 1151 (300 Series) DDR4 Mobos that Support Windows 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted4000

I'm looking to upgrade my PC and want an i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core CPU, but I can't really find any motherboards that claim to be able to support Windows 7 that can take that CPU. However, I've heard all around plenty of people use some of them with Windows 7 just fine, regardless if the manufacturer's website says it can support that OS. Does anyone know of any 1151 DDR4 motherboards that work with Windows 7? Do all of them? Do any? I just don't want to cross over to W10 yet. I prefer W7 at the moment. Thank you.

And as a bonus question... I currently have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with a pull fan as my heatsink, and heard that is compatible with this motherboard and socket type as well. Would this be adequate cooling for an 8-core CPU like this? Or should I get something even higher-end? Thanks.

System's in my signature! :)

The problem is installing the Win7 OS. You need to get the xHCI drivers (and NVMe if you want to use one) slipstreamed into your Windows 7 install media. Otherwise, you won't have USB function and won't be able to finish the installation. ASUS (EZ Installer) and MSI (MSI Tool) have a utility that will do this for you. Not sure about Gigabyte. You can also install with a PS/2 mouse (IF the board has PS/2 ports) but need to update the xHCI driver afterward.

The problem is installing the Win7 OS. You need to get the xHCI drivers (and NVMe if you want to use one) slipstreamed into your Windows 7 install media. Otherwise, you won't have USB function and won't be able to finish the installation. ASUS (EZ Installer) and MSI (MSI Tool) have a utility that will do this for you. Not sure about Gigabyte. You can also install with a PS/2 mouse (IF the board has PS/2 ports) but need to update the xHCI driver afterward.

I recall that... a few years ago I was installing a new computer for a friend of mine with DDR4 memory and a newer gen Intel CPU, etc. and he wanted Windows 7. I don't remember what brand of motherboard we got, but we had to go to their website and get the utility onto the the W7 flash drive. Took us a bit to figure it out but eventually we successfully got W7 on there, no problems.

And currently I'm looking at an ASUS mobo.

With EZ-installer all you need is an Original Win 7 SP1 install media to work with. The utility will do the rest.

Back