• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DO NOT GET Corsair 6400C4D RAM! *Warning*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Little update, i guess ill be stuck with this ram after all.

As i ordered it as a part of bundle on new egg, and cant return Just ram. Oh well, I guess Ill RMA these sticks untill I get a decent pair... Its too bad since ill be without a working computer and have to spend money on shipping sticks to them.

Really bad company policy, these sticks will probably cost me alot more then 300$ with time and money wasted...

I guess after dealing with corsair you wont buy their products again either.

See what that do anyway man or just resell them

DerekT said:
You are trodding a thin line, and I can also tell where you feel the most comfortable CandyKid. That is here. It is easily now seen that you are indeed an Enthusiast who is in the employ of a manufacturing company. I wonder how long you can tread this line. Certainly you do not have the power to influence the numbers men and advertising/marketing structure to change their practices. For you to make the posts you have here (and there) shows you not only understand but that you are a part of us. I do not want you to be an "Independent" or thrown from "Office" as it were.

I am most definately not employed by Corsair, but I do like their products and the people I've been able to meet. While we all have complaints about any given company, Corsair hasn't given me any reason to turn away. I don't think I'm walking a line, I'm sitting here trying to logically approach the situation (I'm a scientist, I can't help it). I do appreciate you not wanting to throw me out though!

Also...

I had a thought last night about this and how one complaint was that they switched out the Micron IC's for Promos IC's and yet kept the 'premium' price tag on them. Here's a little list that I found rather interesting (from Newegg):

Twin2X2048-6400C4D - $306 (-40 mail-in)
Twin2X2048-6400C3DF - $479
Twin2X2048-8500C5D - $389
Twin2X2048-9136C5D - $459
Twin2X2048-8888C4DF - $610

The 6400C4's are far and away the least expensive module in there... which I don't understand in the first place considering the above post about even value companies making DDR2-800 nowadays. And remember, they never 'switched' IC's. Production is ongoing with down-binned (and I mean bottom of the ladder) Micron's and Promos at the same time.

I also wanted to say that I personally would like another denoter in the model name to clarify IC usage, especially on something that's a really slick part. (*cough* BH-5 3200LL's *cough*) Sorry, got a little nostalgic there again.

PLUR
CK

CandyKid said:
I am most definately not employed by Corsair

Ah, I see, you are simply a moderator of the HOH forum. I meant that I hoped you would not be ejected from them, not us. :)

I disagree with the CPU stepping view as we know in advance of any stepping releases and also that they do not create a Conroe and in mid fab give us a Netburst and still call it a Conroe.

I don't think you do understand the issue or you are trying to cloud it. If you can not see those business practices to which I spoke of and yes, you do say you see it but then you try and ameliorate the reality with prices issues. The initial priced Microns did NOT change price with the inserted PROMOS. As a matter of a fact, with the increase of RAM prices they became greater.

I paid more for the v2.1 PROMOS than I did for the v1.1 Microns.

I agree. A new model number would even be better as the integral IC's have been changed and this is certainly enough for a model change.

Last edited:
I see your side DerekT, but I do not think it was a bait and switch, just a failed expectation that they would continue to use Micron IC's for the part. I'm looking at it from a very business-like standpoint, but the above post is very good news indeed.

I'm glad to see this kind of action from Corsair!

PLUR
CK

CandyKid said:
I see your side DerekT, but I do not think it was a bait and switch, just a failed expectation that they would continue to use Micron IC's for the part. I'm looking at it from a very business-like standpoint, but the above post is very good news indeed.

I'm glad to see this kind of action from Corsair!

You have a point. I must agree that how I "Felt" does not translate to reality when there are more than one views. Enthusiasts see things differently than the numbers crunchers to be sure.

Please accept my apologies for expressing my feelings of being duped.

I can see now that I was indeed in error and this makes me a stronger Corsair customer than even before.

For a company the size of Corsair, to respond this quickly to this issue and release a a mechanism to address it is not only astonishing, it is heartening.

Thank-you for your time and understanding of my frustration. :)

DerekT said:
Please accept my apologies for expressing my feelings of being duped.

I can see now that I was indeed in error and this makes me a stronger Corsair customer than even before.

I think you felt exactly how I would have felt given your situation. I also feel that Corsair never did anything wrong, but did something very good when they saw that there were unhappy customers and decided to do them right.

PLUR
CK

CandyKid said:
I also feel that Corsair never did anything wrong, but did something very good when they saw that there were unhappy customers and decided to do them right.

I agree with this view. After calming down and looking logically at the even and the response I have to agree. It makes sense when I consider how well the Corsair RMA and service has been to me in the past.

Your products have been good but your treatment is what drew me to you in the first place. This reaction and decision to deal with this event in this way has strengthened that view.

Thanks CK,

R

Well, I'm sure the RAM is good, in fact I actually ordered 4 sticks from newegg, but after reading some of these negative comments, I decided to cancel the order and go for some gskill. So thanks for the advanced warning!

Edit: Just reordered some RAM, decided to stick with GSkill DDR2 800 w/ Micro D9. Oddly enough, I saw another pair of Gskill ddr2 800 ram which used promos (from GSkill) and it seems to have good reviews.

Last edited:
rainless said:
I'm still trying to figure out what all the fuss about D9 is. I've got regular old CAS5 6400 Corsair ram that does 524mhz (1048 DDR2) and I only paid 150 bucks for it. What the hell sort of magic are the D9s supposed to pull off? 2000mhz or what?

You have a magic D9 1Gb set :beer:

Back