• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do you get leaks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Only one leak after it was setup but that was becuase I put in a piece of hose in way to tight and it kinked and my pump pushed it out the top of my t-line.

Other than that no everything worked just fine.

That's actually called WTX, a failed attempt by Intel to tell everyone to mount their boards upside-down for better cooling performance (so their lab eggheads said anyway).
BTX (their second attempt) is also backwards compatible to ATX, and holding the board upside-down as well.
BTX is supposed to have a slightly different case config with airducts and such for the cpu & gpu's.

It's all kindof crazy, I haven't seen a system yet that matches the pics Intel posted when their first system came out, just a bunch of upside-down ATX's basically.

Anyway, no leaks of consequence here. I had a drop or two fall on my vid card once from a cracked CPU waterblock fitting (danged hard nylon anyway). A new fitting, and not one problem since...that was 5 years ago I think, on an AMD 400.
No damage. Not even a funny looking screen w/psychodelic colors.

4 different cases, 4th pump, 4th rad, 2nd gpu block, 2nd cpu block, 2nd hard drive block, 2nd custom res, and all of the changes involved with swapping these things around for almost 2 years and thankfully no leak so far. Mcmaster type 430 smooth-lined clamps are the way to go...

BTX is actuallly just the opposite of ATX. Its not reverse ATX. Its setup the same as a regular ATX excet CPU area is on the bottom and PCI slots are ontop.

It requires a special motherboard and special case.

My case is also capable of being converted to BTX, it was not designed to be reverse ATX however, and I had to mod it to do so. (But its a very simple mod :) )

btxax5.jpg

Last edited:
I had a poly topped TC-4 fail and spray my MOBO, and vid card down. Killed My X800XT, Powerstream 520 and Max 3. The top cracked after a few hot/cold cycles and I didnt catch it before I hit the power button and cooked all my stuff. System was running fine for a couple weeks before this happend all of a sudden.

The only major leaks I've had was my "old faithful" experience when using two T-Lines for the first time and when testing a prototype top for a VGA block. Both of those resulted in a lot of water spilling out of the loop but in neither case did I have any spillage into the system (thankfully the D5 is so powerful all the water flew into my living room instead ;).

I use RTV silicone on my threaded barbs and between waterblock parts which helps as well.

No leaks here...except when I dropped that jug of coolant into my case...oh man...that mobo was never the same after that, kinda like a really smart kid that just got hit in the head with a bat.

i had a barb break off of a pos koolance pump.didnt get anything wet but swamped the bottom of my case.then there was the audigy 2 that was dripped on for a couple of weeks.bad clamp :p,a2 is now my soldering frankenstien.

Neur0mancer said:
BTX is actuallly just the opposite of ATX. Its not reverse ATX.

Yeah, that's what I forgot to mention...BTX isn't supposed to support ATX mobo's, but some of the first cases that came out will.
Is that your board? That's the first time I've seen a true BTX "in the wild" (I don't shop hardware much).
Does your BTX case have the same cpu and agp ducts that Intel origionally planned for?

And yes, this is a highjack :D

Diggrr said:
Is that your board? That's the first time I've seen a true BTX "in the wild" (I don't shop hardware much).
Does your BTX case have the same cpu and agp ducts that Intel origionally planned for?

And yes, this is a highjack :D

No I was just showing people what a BTX board looks like. Im running an asus a8n-sli deluxe. :) I just removed a piece of metal from the back of the case then flipped the mobo tray over.

</end OT>

I built a cooling setup with a DD TDX CPU block, Polarflow TT GPU block, 1/2" tubing, Via Aqua pump, 6"x9" Ford heater core w/150mm fan, DD custom res. I have not had any leaks as of yet and my system has been running pretty much everyday since April. AS stated above, just use clamps on every connection and you should be good to go.

Back