• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you run your oc-ed machine 24x7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
malinois1 said:
I run Mine OC'ed 24x7 also. Like others said whats the point if you cant run it 24X7.

If I needed my computer 24x7, then I would run my computer 24x7. Unfortunately, I need to sleep and work. It serves absolutely no purpose to run a computer just because you can.

My lights and TV can also run 24x7, but I turn them off when they are not needed. Why waste power? What does that prove?

Some good folks feel good about themselves by running Folding and SETI 24x7, but 8-10 hours a day is plenty if more people would run it. Computers are getting faster too, and this will push research forward.

I run OC-ed whenever on. If I were with the Folding, Seti, or 3D Mark Teams, I would then run 24/7 ;-)

I like the analogy bobad, i'm with you on the power saving, when on a budget that does make a pretty big difference for those of you not living with mom and dad =)

I personally don't run my machine 24x7. It only wears out HDD's, fans, and clogs up the heat sinks with dust bunnies.

I think that all started from businesses needing to be networked at 24x7. It has no use at home except for downloading DVD's and stuff.

Someone said a boot takes 4 hours off the life of many components. Being shut down all night adds 8-10 hours to the life, so there you go.
Too bad almost nobody agrees with you. I plan on dismantling all parts of my pc's WAY WAY WAY before they go bad from age. In fact, nobody really knows how long a processor built today will last. It doesn't really matter anyway. Remember the millenium bug? Scare was caused by 20-30 year old computers that were still running around.

All of my computers run overclocked 24/7 at 100% load (FOLDING).

AMEN

Back