• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you think a 8800gt can run off a 650 watt power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes in fact thats a bit of overkill IMO. Quad 12v rails @ 20A seems a bit excessive even for mid to high range 8800gts/gtx systems.

Well you could power the whole system and sli setup with two 8800gts with that power supply. If you going with single card setup, 550w or 600w will plenty and more than enough.

A top quality 500w unit should even do the trick. But that unit does give you an upgrade path if you ever wanted to go SLI.

I run my 8800GTS off a PCP&C 510W Turbocool just fine. Little nervous though about running two of them in SLI.

im sure it will do just fine, like damarble said a top quality 500w should even run it. im going to run mine with my gamexstream 600w

My brothers running his GTX with a Antec NeoHE 550 (3/18amp 12v rails) without a hitch .

8800GTX only needs a 450W PSU if not mistaken.

It only draws 155W un-OC'ed mind you but even a good OC on some CPU's will draw that much power. Truely 500-550W quality PSU will suit you more then enough. Just don't get the crazy idea of running 2 of them with the PSU.

I just ordered an 8800GTS and I'm a bit worried about my Fortron AX500. It runs my current PC fine, but when I look at that infamous PSU Calculator thing my CPU is pulling 193 watts. The calculator doesn't have the GTS available, but it's supposed to only draw a little bit more power than a 7900GTX overclocked. So with that 7900GTX selected, in order to keep it under 500 watts I'll have to set my CPU down to 2.7ghz and 1.35v. This is with my 2 SATA drives and my DVD+/-RW drive. If I can run this puppy without lowering my CPU I'll be pretty happy.

pizzapieguy said:
so can a 650 watt run sli 8800gt

8800GT's run ~115W Per card. So as long as your not using up another 320W of power and you got enough 12V amps you should be good.

Frozenwings said:
I just ordered an 8800GTS and I'm a bit worried about my Fortron AX500. It runs my current PC fine, but when I look at that infamous PSU Calculator thing my CPU is pulling 193 watts. The calculator doesn't have the GTS available, but it's supposed to only draw a little bit more power than a 7900GTX overclocked. So with that 7900GTX selected, in order to keep it under 500 watts I'll have to set my CPU down to 2.7ghz and 1.35v. This is with my 2 SATA drives and my DVD+/-RW drive. If I can run this puppy without lowering my CPU I'll be pretty happy.

I have a very similar system to your except for the SC Opteron 146, and the Fortron AX500 pulls my 8800GTS OCed to 630/2000MHz just fine.

Back