• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you use an adblocker?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you use an adblocker?

• Yes, I use an adblocker

Votes: 113 65.3%
  • No, I do not use an adblocker

Votes: 60 34.7%

• Total voters
I don't block ads. I just don't see them. I set the blocker to do not display. I like the ad hiding feature in adblock. I am not against generating revenue. I just would not rather see the generators. I still have to remove some of the ad images manually.

One time I did a peek in my rig for (ad)images to remove. I found a picture of a can of Cambell's soup. I kept that one. I found it funny to be on the hard drive.

The really bad ads I outright block.

I also use a custom LMHOST file that blocks the most annoying of advertisers.

I haven’t made donations, but I buy 80% of all my gear from Directron using the link on the home page. I don’t know how much that is for Overclockers.com, but Directron has received thousands from me over the years.

I use something called "supertrick" which was an option in K-Lite, it replaces some, but not many at all ads with the "page can not be found" thing. Works good, doesn't work here, or most sites. I don't need that crap in my temp folders, and not once have I ever clicked on a banner and purchased anything through it.

EDIT: I don't feel the least bit bad for not donating to sites. If you need money, charge, if you don't, don't. I don't donate to museums or to parks, and there's no implied obligation there, it's not much different online.

I use a web filtering program that is supposed to protect me from "naugthy content"

if I see an ad that is A) distracting or B) crude I merely right click it, say "block http://ad.whatever.net" and walaa, it never shows up again.

I use an adblocker, but I only block offensive, distracting, or annoying ads

:edit: Wow I just realized how old this thread is.

nope, i just use popup blocker built into firefox.

yeah, i didn't notice how old this thread was untill wingsofgod mentioned it.

oh well, a good thread is a good thread. be it 1 day old, or 2 years old, or a thread thats 5 years old.

Nope, ads don't affect me at all, i can live with them... its pop-ups that annoy me, and pop-unders! They are even worse :argue: I just use the pop up blockers on FireFox (And my Firewall has one apparantly)

I use the Google Tool Bar, and The firefox pop up blocker, but not the adblockers.

through I don't even notice most of the ads for the sites I frequent, except the few ads placed directly in the middle of a document, if a Ad is intrusive I make it a point NOT to visit it, even if it is something I am interested in, I will google the company instead of following the ad.

if the ad on the side of the page is interesting or I can see my self being in the Market for the product in the near future I will follow the link when I am bored.

What does firefox have to do with blocking ads? Yes there are ad blockers for it but by default it does not block ads.

Kendan said:
Do you use an adblocker? I do not mean popup blocker!!!

Just a simple yes or no. Then read what I have to say and respond after you have voted. Thank you.

Advertising is what pays for sites like overclockers.com and ocforums.com plus most others. Now for the people that use adblockers are you actively donating to sites that you visit frequently or are you just in it for the free ride? As for the people that don't block the ads do you click thru and check out who is supporting your favorite sites? I am just curious as to the opinions of the members here as to how they feel about the system that is in place. ie: Advertising supported sites and the use of adblockers which could threaten the livelyhood of the very sites you like and visit on a daily basis. What say you members of ocforums?

too much work, I don't use a popup blocker as well, i'm faster on the switch than most programs.

Ads that normally appear on a web page are no problem at
all. I read what I think will be interesting, the rest I will ignore.
as for pop-ups and the appropriate blockers yes I use one if I
am not shopping for something.

so no I do not use an ad blocker. I have had ads on my web pages
and there were months that they actually did pay for my Intenet
experience. I have long since discontinued ads. The accounts to
maintain them eventually became too much trouble to deal with.

I use The Proxomitron, Firefox popup blocker, the adblocker extension, a flash blocker and a massive HOSTS file. My machine is like fort knox for graphic adverts.

I do this because there was a day when advertising crossed the line, became invasive and annoying. If a site is worthy of getting some money from my visit, then I'll donate. If a site's adverts somehow manage to get past The Proxomitron then I'll write a new filter for it to get them in the future.

I don't block text ads because they're not annoying.

Interestingly, some company carried out a study about advertising success recently - they took a webpage and put some information in the place where the banners normally would be. They found that almost everyone automatically mentally blocked the advert spaces and couldn't recall any of the information there.

Last edited:
I use Firefox with the Adblock extention exclusively for visiting some websites, including the front page. Mainly to block those incredibly annoying intellitext links in articles. And with websites that use intellitext, I also block out almost all other advertising too; since they made the choice to use a method of advertising that I find incredibly annoying I don't want them to get any revenue from my clickthroughs even from ads that don't bother me. That includes the front page too. I no longer use their Newegg ads as a way to order computer stuff any more since they adopted intellitext to corrupt my reading of the articles.

muddocktor said:
I use Firefox with the Adblock extention exclusively for visiting some websites, including the front page. Mainly to block those incredibly annoying intellitext links in articles. And with websites that use intellitext, I also block out almost all other advertising too; since they made the choice to use a method of advertising that I find incredibly annoying I don't want them to get any revenue from my clickthroughs even from ads that don't bother me. That includes the front page too. I no longer use their Newegg ads as a way to order computer stuff any more since they adopted intellitext to corrupt my reading of the articles.

There is actually an easy way to get around those text links on the front page. Just use the IP instead of the domain name. I was using the ip for some reason and had it as my bookmark when someone told me about the text links I was confused because I had not seen them;)

Back