• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do you use an adblocker?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Do you use an adblocker?

• Yes, I use an adblocker

Votes: 113 65.3%
  • No, I do not use an adblocker

Votes: 60 34.7%

• Total voters
Kendan said:
There is actually an easy way to get around those text links on the front page. Just use the IP instead of the domain name. I was using the ip for some reason and had it as my bookmark when someone told me about the text links I was confused because I had not seen them;)

Hey, that's cool to know, Kendan. :D

I run a Mozilla Firefox with Adblock, I also do not have the flash plugin installed as a lot of adverts these days are made with it, and I find fashing adverts distracting and invasive
In general I have no problem allowing adverts, however I do wish to support companys in my country... Buying things in another country and then shipping it to the UK often makes it unfeasible.
Simple show me an advert for something im interested in and do not make it invasive then I will not block it, This actually effects whom I purchase from, I will not purchase from companys who use pop up or invasive adverts

Last edited:
I'm running IE7 and there are lots of goodies in there to put the smack down on the ads and like Menace said the once kewl shockwave/flash is now just an ad exploit.

depends on the system whether I am using a popupblocker, ad blocker or all of the above.

I am a total farker and dont mind paying to do it. I have paid for different sites throughout the years and dont mind doing it.

I have said already in the pay for OCgear thread what shirts I would buy if they were available. If there was a benefit to my paying to be here I would willingly pay as well. otherwise I dont pay to use a site if it doesnt return the favor or noticeably keep them in business.

I run firefox so there are popups that are blocked. The sites that I care about, I will click some ads and see what is being advertised to help the site. Ads, as long as they are just banners, are fine. When they start using popups and popunders and scrolling ads, thats when i get ****ed.

I block everything but then I have never ever clicked on one. I know it supports these sites but any ads selling something are from the US so thats useless to me and theres only the occasioanl site that offers information which I would more readily find using google. I thnk saying anyone who doesn't click the links or donate is here for a free ride is rather strong. I'm always dubious of adlinks and have got some spyware from a couple and I really can't afford to donate when I have so many other commitments like being a student.

I block everything with adblock in FF. I don't see anything on this site but ocforums content, not even background images for inet (but I do see the drop-down menus for inet, which don't bother me). I see absolutely no ads on the overclockers.com front page. I block all ads on yahoo (took a while to find the scripts in some cases) and all the other sites I frequent. I know I'm doing well because I'm going to sites I've never been to before and don't see any ads until I visit that site again from another computer.

I use domain-wide blocking for the all-ad domains like this:
Code:
http://www.somedomain.com/*
or
Code:
http://*.somedomain.com/*
Accepting regular expressions in adblock pwns all.

I've gone beyond just Adblock and now use FlashBlock as well. I'm absolutely sick of getting flash ads spammed at me.

I control what I see on the internet. Not the other way around.

You need flashblock now. Seems loads of sites are going to flash to get around ad blockers.

Yup, I definitely use an adblocker. Adblock + Filterset g works nicely, and autoupdates the blocklist and everything.

I use and adblocker as well. Certain sites, however, I do whitelist as I want to support them (OCF and overclockers.com come to mind).

Can't you just use adblock and use some regex trickery to block out most .swf from ad servers with a certain size/path? Ad servers typically have lots of spammy numbers and / in the URLs so it'd be easy to filter out most of them.

edit: I use opera's inbuilt filtering. No regex but * takes care of most things

Voodoo Rufus said:
I block popups, but not ads. Annoying yes, but sometimes ad blockers I've used in the past didn't work right. I do have the newegg OC reference bookmarked though.

"ditto"

To those who want advanced blocking I'd really recommend the Proxomitron. It's freeware, and although it's no longer being developed, the most recent release (from 2003) still works excellently. It's basically a proxy that sits on your machine and goes through all the web content that you access and alters it according to the filters.

The reason it is great is because it's basically like sed for web content; you can write your own filters and it is very, very adaptable. Because of this it isn't really for laypeople - it's easy to inadvertantly block content you actually want if you aren't careful with your regular expressions.

It does come with a large set of filters already, for those who don't want to write their own.

No I don't work for them.

When I go to a site that helps me with information and such I click a couple of adds so they get click money or what ever they call it.

Back