• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Anyone NOT Use AS5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm using the IC Diamond and it's holding up quite well. :beer: Still waiting to see if I need to replace it with the same frequency as the AS5 (every 3months).

I'm using the IC Diamond and it's holding up quite well. :beer: Still waiting to see if I need to replace it with the same frequency as the AS5 (every 3months).
You don't have to change AS5 every three months....:confused:

Get paste on skin? I do this all the time... should I see a doctor? :p

ive been using arctic silver 5 for a long time and it seems to work great, ive never had a problem and i swear by it. i wouldnt use anything else until something new comes out that works better

ive been using arctic silver 5 for a long time and it seems to work great, ive never had a problem and i swear by it. i wouldnt use anything else until something new comes out that works better

well it looks like time for you to move on :p

try mx-2 or IC diamond paste

Any silver thermal grease is conductive, so be sure you clean evrything off including what you get on your fingers. if it makes contact with anything you'll be SOL.

You got that one confused, Arctic Silver 5 is not conductive at all, it's slightly capacitive my friend ;)

I mostly use Arctic Silver 5 since it's tried and true and the best all purpose TIM on the market, but with that said, I still use Ceramique, Shin Etsu variants and have been testing Seven Carat Diamond, for things that need a permanent bond, I use Alumina adhesive.
People need to understand that Arctic Silver 5 is an all purpose high performance TIM designed for a wide range of applications, what works best for person X may not be the best for person Y if they have different setups.

You got that one confused, Arctic Silver 5 is not conductive at all, it's slightly capacitive my friend ;)

This is confusing. So AS5 will short things? And MX-2, STG1 etc?

By the way, I have one totally unused tube of Arctic Silver 3 that I have no use for. Anyone in CONUS who wants it, PM me.

I use Ceramique almost exclusively now, since I misplaced my tube of AS5.:eek: Basically I see little, if any difference in performance between the 2 and the Ceramique is much cheaper, gram for gram.

I use Ceramique almost exclusively now, since I misplaced my tube of AS5.:eek: Basically I see little, if any difference in performance between the 2 and the Ceramique is much cheaper, gram for gram.

Hmmm, I think I'll try some Ceramique next time when my current tube of AS5 runs out.

Congrats on the greens Muddocktor :thup:

[slight threadjack]
Thanks Audio! One day I logged in here and mold grew on my blue stars overnight. :D
[/slight threadjack]

One thing I have found with removing a heatsink when using Ceramique as the tim on a socket 939 or socket 478 machine is as soon as I shut down the rig I start removing the fan and before trying to to remove the heatsink I twist and turn it as much as the retention module allows until I fell a lessening of force needed to twist the heatsink, then try to work one corner up gently first. That way it doesn't rip the processor out of the socket (most of the time at least). That is one thing I really like about the Intel LGA775 socket with it's top flap enclosing the processor; it holds it down while you remove the heatsink without letting it come out prematurely.

SilverSinkSam said:
Basically I see little, if any difference in performance between the 2 and the Ceramique is much cheaper, gram for gram.

Very well put SSS. I use AS-C as well and I don't think I'm going to switching to anything else for a while. Its easy to clean up and works very well.

Back