• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Anyone NOT Use AS5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Where it really matters, (i.e., I'm trying to lose an extra degree or two, or conductivity is a problem) I keep a tube of Ceramique kicking around, but for most stuff I just use an old tube of generic zinc-oxide sunscreen paste. (YMMV, some might not work very well, but the one I have does fine.) I never bought into the hype of the fancy compounds.

I thought it was normal to use crazyglue?

No... it's crazy glue around the edges, with thermal compound in the middle. ;)

Although, in all seriousness, that combo does work quite well if you're careful about it. I still have a Voodoo3 1000 with a Pentium heatsink attached that way, did it 7 years ago and the card still works fine at 175mhz clocks.

/end random OT tangent.

I personally use AS ceramique these days.

It seems to last longer, in that it doesn't dry into a sort of cake to the extent AS5 does. It supposedly doesn't transmit heat as effectively, but it does the trick for me :).

Last edited:
i use AS5 on everything. though if i can find some ceramic i will use it on my voltage regulators.

You got that one confused, Arctic Silver 5 is not conductive at all, it's slightly capacitive my friend ;).

Ahhh, good to know Sam, thx :thup:

I used AS3 alot before, and there were times when i did'nt clean it off thoroughly it made contact with parts on the PCB and it shorted out, got errors, it was a mess to figure out what was causing it. Stupid me being careless :bang head, lol.

I have a whole new tube sitting here unused because I don't feel like taking my computer apart again for 1 or 2 degrees. Using the white stuff that came with the big typhoon. Stays under 55c overclocked at load (sig) so no worries. I figure the risk of breaking my motherboard when I put the typhoon on again is higher than the risk of ruining my cpu at 55c and under. Someday maybe when they bring out the thermalright ultra120 uberomegaXtreme.

I think I'm still using AS3, I bought a tube when I bought either a P3 1ghz or a P4 Northwood.

It hasnt ran out, so I still use, never had a problem with my temps.

Very well put SSS. I use AS-C as well and I don't think I'm going to switching to anything else for a while. Its easy to clean up and works very well.

SilverSinkSam said:
Basically I see little, if any difference in performance between the 2 and the Ceramique is much cheaper, gram for gram.

Appreciate the kind words, but I didn't write that, you quoted someone else and put my name in the quote. Personally, I can see a difference between Arctic Silver 5 and Ceramique, AS5 performs slightly better than Ceramique, but not by much and both are good. :)

And here I was thinking I was crazy when he said you said it. I was like, SSS didn't say that... but I just woke up. I have that really large tube of AS5, I use it for all applications including all of my friend's and my own. :)

I've used AS5 for as long as i've been doing the custom PC thing... though i'm curious about this whole MX-2 craze all of a sudden :)

Might try an app or two on my folding farm and see how it does.

~ Gos

Back