• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyone remember the "old OCZ"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
The company that was extremely shady and was sending out bad ram and what not. I believe a member here even investigated them.

They sure have come a long way and I am not sure if they are even the same company now. I just wanted to know if anyone else remembered that because everytime I come here and see an OCZ thread I cringe.

:)

i do remember the old crappy ocz, it was a big nono.

but now is pretty much up to par with corsair and mushkin if not better. I love my OCZ VX pc3200 sticks running at DDR500 cas 1.5 :p

I don't remember them but I've heard the stories. I really don't care now considering they have like the best customer support & RMA support every. I've had 2 sets of PC3200 that sit at DDR600 1:1 :D

yep I heard the stories also and I have to say out of all the companies that I have dealt with they are the most pleasant.

I wasn't working for OCZ back at that point in time so I don't really know what went down, but if people still have OCZ ram from back then that doesn't work I'd like to hear about it so we can get it replaced for them with something new.

Steve

SteveOCZ said:
I wasn't working for OCZ back at that point in time so I don't really know what went down, but if people still have OCZ ram from back then that doesn't work I'd like to hear about it so we can get it replaced for them with something new.

Steve

:attn: very cool. I'm glad I went with OCZ ram.

I don't know a whole lot about their ram, but I do know that the OCZ Powerstream is the best power supply I have ever used.

SteveOCZ said:

Steve
see, now how could you not LOVE a company that has a rep (with such a cute avatar ;) ) who is just begging for RMA's?....seriously! :eek:

Steve, can you comment on what might have happened to OCZ to turn it from a "no-no" to one of the best names in the industry?

i dont remember the "old" OCZ; i think the first (of MANY) thing(S) i bought from them were (first shipment) VX :)

I remember, it was around 2002 because I was looking to build my new machine and I kept hearing horror stories of OCZ ram so I went with Corsair.

in a way i dont wanna discuss this much as they have taken a completly crap company and turned a 180 with it.

iirc it was sold and new managment moved in.
it took several years for them to gain the respect and trust of ocers back as we are like elephants due to having to remember so many facts.things are black and white with us mostly when it comes to our parts and who we do business with.

i honestly cant even find a comparison to compare the old company with.lets just say i like kyle at the h better than i liked them.

now, wow i cant praise them enough.hell i know steve has even read a couple threads ive done stating how impressed i was with them as a company now.

it just goes to show a company that has integrety and its customers at heart will prosper.
ive owned several of thier products now after i swore years ago i wouldnt even take thier parts even if they were given to me.

i remember them always claiming that "conterfeit OCZ ram" had gotten onto the market. seemed like it happened a couple of times tho. cant really remember all the details.

Starfoxer said:
The company that was extremely shady and was sending out bad ram and what not. I believe a member here even investigated them.

They sure have come a long way and I am not sure if they are even the same company now. I just wanted to know if anyone else remembered that because everytime I come here and see an OCZ thread I cringe.

:)

I do and was a victim of their old memory. Received two of their memory modules and both were giving me crazy blue screens after a week's use. Swore never to use OCZ products again, and still haven't to this day.

The_Jizzler said:
i remember them always claiming that "conterfeit OCZ ram" had gotten onto the market. seemed like it happened a couple of times tho. cant really remember all the details.

I remember that too.

They had some serious issues back then but have turned things around and are very customer orientated and they learned from their past bad experiences. Most people these days have nothing but good things to say about them, which is always a good thing.

I bought a stick of 3200 512 from them back in "those days". It is still running in my dual xeon rig. Never really tried to OC it beyond 3200 though. I bought it for my 1700 XP that I ran at 2.3. Actually I am selling the dually and will be returning to the 1700 and Epox 8RDA+ for my 2nd shot at Linux.....

I continue to consider and sometimes buy OCZ products without concern. I have always been willing to pay more for good customer service. Hence the reason I build my own rigs and do not buy from Dell :p

From what I remember the old ownership or management wasn't honest. New people came in (maybe they should have changed the company name as well) and started to turn things around. I remember I bought some OCZ pc3500EL with the copper heatspreaders maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Those suckers did 250FSB 2-2-2-11 on my Abit NF7-S rev 1.2 (2x256MB sticks) and I've never looked back.

It's too bad there are still people out there who will not use our RAM because of the past, but I have to say that I completely understand where they are coming from. If these people change their minds later down the line then great…and if not…well someone needs to give the competition a little money as well ;)

I remember a thread about this. Now I am the prowd owner of OCZ Powerstream and OCZ Platinum ram. My only wish is that they had a trade in program so I could get rid of this 1 gig and get 2. Hehe

hehe i remember when we found that they had been using sand paper to remove the MFG's stamp from the IC so they could claim that they had printed custom IC's. Honestly I am very happy with where OCZ as gotten to today. They went from a company that i would never recomend to a top notch memory maker as well as some really killer PSU's :) Next on my list is GEIL and Patriot, though Patriot is not quite as bad... but some one needs to hold them accountable for the DDR 700 crap! yes some TCCD can do 350mhz but not much of the stuff they are selling that is "raited" for that speed can.

Back