• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does anyone remember the seagate scandal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MLMIB

okay, I know there was a scandal a few years back involving seagate, something about sending out defective hard drives (somewhere in the figure of 20k I beleive) does this ring a bell for anyone else? anyone know where I can find a link? (kinda tried google already)

just in an arguement with someone.

I dont remember that there was a scandal about it but I think I know what you are talking about.

Back about 1997, Seagate made a drive 2GB HDD that was inherrantly buggy and would fail over 50% of the time in the field if not 100%. After shipping, they relalized that the drives were really bad, they changed their warranty policy for that drive to expire the moment it left the factory. They released a BIOS/firmware utility that would "refurbish" drives and make them work for a bit longer but ultimately almost all of them died a horrible death.

I remember this very well because I was working for a Repair center at the time and all of our systems that went out used these drives and not too long after, they would be right back in the shop for "Hard Drive Not Found" problems. We even got sued a few times because companies lost entire databases that were on these drives :D

Foxy

Back