• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does anyoone have any tips for cleaning case fans??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

I'm building a new system and I got everything out of my case. I used canned air but the fans are still dirty,any tips???

Thanks

A tough cloth works fine, such as paper towels or "shop" towels. Don't use tissues, as they tend to break up and leave dust everywhere.

Thanks I was hoping to not have to remove all the fans from the case but I guess that will be the best way
Thanks again

I've always used new 1"-1.5" paint brushes with bristles as stiff as I can get. An old toothbrush works well, too, but brushes cover more area. Even using paint brushes, keep the toothbrush handy for hard-to-get spots. I use the same "equipment" and techniques for CPU cooler fans, too. You'd be surprised at how little dust and gunk it takes to noticeably increase the noise a fan makes. Depending on the general environment in which you live, once a month should suffice. I lived in the US desert southwest for years and cleaned everything 1-2 times a month. Here right on the Atlantic coast in Florida, I find I only have to do a thorough cleaning every 5-6 months. Just look on physical PC cleanup as a labor of love.

Coffee filters are tough and lint-free, and cheap. Douse them with alcohol to really clean gummy blades.

Don't buy canned air. Use a DateVac500, and quit paying for canned air. But first stop your fan blades from spinning with skewers or fireplace matches.

I have found marathon center pull towles to be very much like coffee filters, great for cpu tim also.

Back