• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does cooling NorthBridge affect CPU temp?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Slaught said:
Ok, Ive just added a crystal orb to my northbridge (with a little modification, was a tight fit on Epox 8k5a3) and now my temps seem to have dropped by like 10 degrees C.

The north bridge was incredibly hot before, it would have burnt your finger if u touched it, now it seems just slightly warm to the touch.

Before I put the crystal orb on my temps were running at 49 whilst under load (folding for team 32!) but now they are sitting at a much nicer 39. This is an xp 1600+ running at 1836mhz.

Should cooling the NorthBridge affect CPU temp like that, has anyone else had similar results?
Im sure I havent changed anything else, other than putting heatsinks on my ram, this just seems way odd to me.

Not that im complaining, im off to see how much further i can push my CPU :burn:

Well well, there's a simple explaination. The heat dissipated off the northbridge without a sink would have greatly affected case temps, which as you know, will affect the cpu temps! When you placed the orb on it, the heat dissipation will be more spread out and the concentration of heat from a single source would have decreased hence lowering case temps slightly. You might not notice the case temp changes but the slightest temp changes seriously affects how heat is convected away from the cpu via the sink.

Airflow across the CPU socket has been known to affect CPUtemps greatly!, if there was no flow there before, but the Orb is creating some now, it could cause a temp drop.

Hole/Spring mounts are notorious for not being level, just brushing a pipe(stiff PVC especially) can move it off kilter and throw the temps right out. I don't think the nylon bolts help either!. I'm fitting brass threads on my Maze3:1 and fitting stronger springs as well. I've heard of peeple getting good temp drops from 'hard~mounting' the block(without springs) , but it's not for the faint hearted or (like me) $$££%% lacking :D

Thx for the info Slaught... i think i'm going to hold off on that.

The noise + crazy glue just makes me going "i duunnnoo" :)
If there was a way to mate it without gluing it on, or maybe i could get some Artic Silver Epoxy.

Noise well... i allready have a 747 in here so one more little fan hehehe...

Back