• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does Overclockers approve?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phelix08

A friend of mine pulled this out of an old dell workstation, and we thought we'd get some use out of it. The 200mm fan that came in the top of my 600t had awful airflow and an annoying whine, so it got booted, I hooked up the two 120mm's that were on my heatsink and in the rear exhaust to the top, and put this guy in the back. I'm getting *way* better airflow both from the top and the the rear, between 5 and 15 degrees C cooler temperatures, and it may be quieter than the old setup was (It's hard to tell, the dorms are always pretty loud).

It's one of the ~200 cfm Deltas, I have it at 800rpm most of the time but it gets up to 4000 according to the ASUS fan utility

Anyway, on to the pictures:
First trying it out. It took some "alternative" wiring to get it hooked up. The dell used some proprietary connector (kinda like a mini pci-e connector)
IMG_0422.jpg
Realized it was pulling mostly air from the case instead of through the heatsink so I rigged up a shroud. It made about a 5 degree difference
IMG_0436.jpg

Just for reference this is what I was using before
IMG_0242.jpg

I don't think I have ever see one before.. !

Shouldn't it be rotated 90 degrees? Man it looks huge in that image.

I don't think I have ever see one before.. !

Shouldn't it be rotated 90 degrees? Man it looks huge in that image.

Nope lol, the bracket only goes on one way. And yeah, it's gigantic. 14x10x12 cm. Like I said, that's a 600t and it still takes up a huge amount of space

Nice job on the DIY mod :thup:

Thanks!

On a related note, anyone have any good ideas for making the shroud a bit more permanent? Right now it's just cardboard and electrical tape

Looks mad. And surprisingly effective with the tape. Must sound like a rocket taking off at 4000 with that heatsink.

On a related note, anyone have any good ideas for making the shroud a bit more permanent? Right now it's just cardboard and electrical tape

What you've done looks good. Cardboard for rigidity with electrical tape to hold it all together and hide the brown color of the cardboard. It's permanent enough for me! What do you have in mind as a "more permanent" solution?

Yeah about the only next step would be to mould plastic! tape and cardboard ftw.

Looks mad. And surprisingly effective with the tape. Must sound like a rocket taking off at 4000 with that heatsink.

Yeah, my roommate was caught up raiding while I was messing with it and when he got done he thought I had been vacuuming. It's definitely noisy when it's ramped up.

And I'm not sure about more permanent, I guess I just don't like having cardboard in my computer lol. It works just fine so I think it's a keeper for now. I may see if I can find something black plastic that I could use.

Thanks for all the replies everyone

Yeah about the only next step would be to mould plastic! tape and cardboard ftw.

Personally I would make it out of fiberglass. If you can remove the fan with the cardboard/tape in place or the heat since with it in place just put some resin and mat down and your good to go. Should cost more than $10 or $20 for materials.

fiberglass resin will melt through that tape in no time. My buddy tried to make a custom console for his GMC Jimmy that way and all we ended up with was a terrible mess in the back yard. You can fiberglass on cardboard you just need to hotglue it together. A sexy acrylic shroud wouldnt be that hard to make. You can silicone/epoxy/solvent weld/hot glue/ect acrylic so your creativity is really the limit there.

Hmm, those are good ideas. I've never really done anything with fiberglass before but I suppose there's a first time for everything, and it's not like this is too important lol. I'm not too excited about acrylic just because I'm afraid it would probably get really dusty with all that airflow across it and I don't want to constantly be cleaning it out

I finally got a chance to hear it somewhere a bit quieter and I'm not sure if I'm gonna hang onto the delta or now now, it's a bit louder than the old fans

fiberglass resin will melt through that tape in no time. My buddy tried to make a custom console for his GMC Jimmy that way and all we ended up with was a terrible mess in the back yard. You can fiberglass on cardboard you just need to hotglue it together. A sexy acrylic shroud wouldnt be that hard to make. You can silicone/epoxy/solvent weld/hot glue/ect acrylic so your creativity is really the limit there.
. That's what tin foil is for lol. I have done a lot with fiberglass, and making that into fiberglass would be easy.

Use the plastic from a tub of Ice cream, it works pretty well and can be cut with regular old scissors. Easy to work with.

When it heats up you could get a nice vanila smell :D

I love the Mugen II I have it running a 9650 @4GHZ passively(even though it can take upto 4 fans), awesome heatsink.

Besides, it just looks tough, as does that nice Delta fan you've got in there.

Back