• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this block fit my GPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

balyn

Registered
Hiya!

Alright, so I'm about to buy my first custom loop but I'm a bit "stuck" with the GPU.
I got a Asus R9 280x and the waterblock I can buy from Inet.se is a EK-FC7970 DCII

according to http://configurator.ekwb.com/waterblock/3831109856291 and my own logic it should fit, since I heard from somewhere a ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 has the same PCB as my GPU. But I want this confirmed from you guys.

Will that waterblock fit my gpu?

In theory, it should.

The reason why they only state Visual, is because they have not confirmed it with a test.

The 280x is 7970 cards rebranded, so there should not be any reason for it not to fit. You should be fine adding that block to the card.

I don't have personal experience with these cards but they are basically the same card, just rebranded GPU. If the EKW configurator says it'll work it should and there's no mention of special revisions.

Cheers guys. I'm giving it a go and in worse case I'm gonna have to buy myself a new gpu as well x)

Hiya!

Alright, so I'm about to buy my first custom loop but I'm a bit "stuck" with the GPU.
I got a Asus R9 280x and the waterblock I can buy from Inet.se is a EK-FC7970 DCII

according to http://configurator.ekwb.com/waterblock/3831109856291 and my own logic it should fit, since I heard from somewhere a ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5 has the same PCB as my GPU. But I want this confirmed from you guys.

Will that waterblock fit my gpu?

It depends on which version of the DC2T you have.

The one you linked is the standard one and this one is compatible with this water block : EK-FC R9-280X DCII

The V2 version of the card is compatible with this water block : EK-FC7970 DCII

It depends on which version of the DC2T you have.

The one you linked is the standard one and this one is compatible with this water block : EK-FC R9-280X DCII

The V2 version of the card is compatible with this water block : EK-FC7970 DCII

Yeah that's kinda what I'm on about. I'm aware it lists the "v2" as a fit. But it also lists the "ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5", which I've heard now both from here(overclockers.com), overclock.net AND Sweclockers.com-, that it's the same PCB as my "v1" gpu.

Yeah that's kinda what I'm on about. I'm aware it lists the "v2" as a fit. But it also lists the "ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5", which I've heard now both from here(overclockers.com), overclock.net AND Sweclockers.com-, that it's the same PCB as my "v1" gpu.

V1 and V2 GPU PCBs in general aren't necessarily the same all the time. Its happened before where folks have made that mistake because on some versions, they might move around the capacitors and the likes which than creates a installation nightmare and added inconvenience.

Over at Overclock.net we figured out it won't work with my gpu and that block I wanted, so I've decided to become poor for the upcoming 6 months or so and buy myself a 970 and a new block to that instead. :)

Back