• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would love to hear what you get with the peltier. I have been wanting to do that for a long time.

I see his point.

Dolk, I see his point.

He is asking me to try running at a FSB of 225 X 16 = 3.6Ghz.
But with a CPU-NB multiplier of 8 X 225 = 1800 (stock speed) and
with a HTT of 5 X 225 = 1125 and RAM running at
1:2 = 800 X 225/200 = 900.

This will stress only the CPU as all other components are running at or below rated speeds.

I have one of the best water cooling systems running great and nearly silent. I was really hoping to get further with the overclock. I had read that most reviewers (see below) achieved 3.6-4.0Ghz with decent air cooling. I thought that with a kickass water cooling setup, I could go even farther. I wouldn't think that a heat wall would be hit at ~40 degrees C. Maybe I just have a dud. It makes sense that AMD would send out their best chips (highest overclocking headroom) to the reviewers. I feel a little duped.

3.5Ghz (air) ClubOverclocker.com
3.7Ghz (water) ClubOverclocker.com
3.8Ghz (air) Neoseeker.com
3.6Ghz (air) CPU3D.com
4.0Ghz (air) XTReview.com
3.75Ghz (air) FiringSquad.com
3.6Ghz (air) TrustedReviews.com
3.8Ghz (air) AtomicMPC.com
3.6Ghz (air) TechTree.com
3.8Ghz (air) Guru3d.com
3.7Ghz (air) ExtremeOverclocking.com
4.0Ghz (phase Chage) ExtremeOverclocking
3.8Ghz (air) AMDZone.com

A shot in the dark here....Does your BIOS have Auto Xpress? My 940 had issues until I changed it from Auto to Enabled. Pay no attention to my sig as I am now using a 940BE on an Asus M3A79-T Deluxe. I'm still working on my OC

ohhh these phenom II chips are really looking tasty. this thread may be enough for me to consider jumping on an X3

/poke /poke subliminal messaging buy buy buy

alright alright i cave! gonna get my hands on either an X3 or X4! gonna look around at ncix's selection but any recommendations for my mobo anyone??

alright alright i cave! gonna get my hands on either an X3 or X4! gonna look around at ncix's selection but any recommendations for my mobo anyone??

ddr 3 platform or ddr 2? If you can wait a couple of days I'm going to knock out a review on the gigabyte UD5P 790 FX (ddr II ) not the FXT ( ddr III ) as I already reviewed that.

I think that and the m4a79 deluxe ( which I have here for a comparison ) are the only real contenders in the high end Ocing segment.

If XS doesn't get its act together in 2 days I will be posting the review here.

DDR2 for sure, right now DDR3 is still just a little rich for my blood heh. the board i was considering was the one that i currently own in my sig. i'm not entirely confident of it's overclocking capability with quad and tri core phenoms since there nothing but an old single core sitting in there.

i can definitely wait a few days for a review on that 790FX board tho! :D

DDR2 for sure, right now DDR3 is still just a little rich for my blood heh. the board i was considering was the one that i currently own in my sig. i'm not entirely confident of it's overclocking capability with quad and tri core phenoms since there nothing but an old single core sitting in there.

i can definitely wait a few days for a review on that 790FX board tho! :D

Sounds good, I plan to give it a run with both a 940BE and 720BE...if the asus wasn't full board insulated right now I'd do a side by side comparison.

I think I can dig up some old tests and match the speeds for a comparison though.

You crazy fool. Those must be the oddest settings I have seen. But then again I don't have my fancy algorithm chart in front of me showing the best combination for all settings minus ram. :D
There's a chart somewhere? :burn:

Dolk, I see his point.

He is asking me to try running at a FSB of 225 X 16 = 3.6Ghz.
But with a CPU-NB multiplier of 8 X 225 = 1800 (stock speed) and
with a HTT of 5 X 225 = 1125 and RAM running at
1:2 = 800 X 225/200 = 900.

This will stress only the CPU as all other components are running at or below rated speeds.
:):thup:

Slower but, generally, more sure ...

Last edited:
I have an entire FSB to Multiplier chart along with DDR speeds. I should post it ;)

alright so i've been looking at the amd lineup available around me in retail. am i correct in asserting that anything less than a phenom II X3 is not worth investing in? furthermore, i'm still on stock cooling right now. was thinking of jumping in on something aftermarket. the arctic cooling freezer 64 seems like a good cooler for upgraders on a budget.

alright so i've been looking at the amd lineup available around me in retail. am i correct in asserting that anything less than a phenom II X3 is not worth investing in? furthermore, i'm still on stock cooling right now. was thinking of jumping in on something aftermarket. the arctic cooling freezer 64 seems like a good cooler for upgraders on a budget.

Xigmatech coolers are the best bang for the buck with the Thermalright TRUE being the best of the best if you can afford to pay $70. :drool:

The best CPU bang for the buck right now is the X3 720 and it'll overclock by at least 800 MHz. I have one and love it. Also, if you get a chipset that supports ACC you might be able to unlock the 4th core. Thankyou AMD!

+1 for the 720. I think the only reason it is kind of looked down upon is because people are moving more and more to quads as applicaitons become multithreaded.

Which HSF do you guys like better for the PII.
The Sunbeam 120MM Core Contact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004 (prolly getting this cause it can mount any direction on AM2)
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

They are both really similar, and same price after shipping. I think the core contact is slightly better hsf, while the xigmatek has a better fan. Would either of those fit a 120x38mm fan, I have 4 nice panaflo's that size...

Lastly, anyone anticipate either of these not fitting on my mobo? Pretty standard 790GX layout with heatpipe going around cpu socket. And right next to the socket I have 4 sticks of corsair dominator ram, big heatsinks on em

Last edited:
Since hey are basically the same sink, I would go with the sunbeam for performance simply because of the higher airflow and the xigmatek for quieter opperation. Also, both of those fans should take two of your 120x120x38 fans with simple or no modifications to the mounting devices.

Which HSF do you guys like better for the PII.
The Sunbeam 120MM Core Contact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004 (prolly getting this cause it can mount any direction on AM2)
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

They are both really similar, and same price after shipping. I think the core contact is slightly better hsf, while the xigmatek has a better fan. Would either of those fit a 120x38mm fan, I have 4 nice panaflo's that size...

Lastly, anyone anticipate either of these not fitting on my mobo? Pretty standard 790GX layout with heatpipe going around cpu socket. And right next to the socket I have 4 sticks of corsair dominator ram, big heatsinks on em

Now see that's the problem with all this new fangled RAM, no consideration for us overclockers with our big air cooling HS's. Rodney Dangerfield said it best when he complained about not getting any respect. I always assume that any HS that I buy is going to FUBAR the first 2 slots so I get the low profile (old fashioned) RAM so they will fit underneath. I like the freedom of being able to fill all 4 slots. Works for me! :soda:

Back