• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Haha, if you have good enough cooling it doesn't really hurt the chip, I agree. I don't want to be spending money on this system every two weeks to keep it running.

Hehe thank god for my WC system. I've pushed the CPUv to something like 1.65v and the CPU-NB to 1.45v before. (but that was during the cold weather and I brought the computer outside). :D

Wanted to post an update! Been having fun today boys!

I managed to ghetto rig my old thermalright SI-97 onto my baby. Temps dropped 10+ celcius across the board. On full load it still gets pretty hot, even tho I have smart fan set to off in the bios, the mobo only spins the cpu fan up fast when it breaks 60c. Wierd!

Anyway I am currently sitting at 3.5ghz @1.4v. To get stable at 3.6ghz it took another 1.45 and maybe even a little more, and got up to 70c.
I am not comfortable with that, this cooler is much better than stock but still cant compete with a core contact or xigmatek dark knight.

Check this sandra multimedia bench I just did at 3.5. Was only running the benches for stability testing but this caught my eye:

2817egy.jpg

Beat an i7 [email protected], STRIKE

Great benches! I love making intel look bad so other people doing it too is even better. Keep pushing it once you get better cooling though.

WoW runs much better now than before. Had the same amount of ram, but X2 [email protected] and ram only at 800. MMO's actually stress more than just the GPU. Even then I can have wow running window mode but filling the whole of screen 1, and firefox/thunderbird/digsby/ect running in monitor 2, and switch between them seamlessly. There is nothing this pc cannot do! It can take over the world!

I basically stepped up from your exact CPU. I had a 2.2ghz brisbane oc'd to 2.75ghz. In cities like Dalaran my sys would be crawling before, now it barely lags at all.

What chipset does your mobo use Chance? Can you just drop a Phenom2 in?

If so I would have the upgrade itch driving me crazy! My old mobo was amd770 but its max TDP was like 90W.

Wanted to post an update! Been having fun today boys!

I managed to ghetto rig my old thermalright SI-97 onto my baby. Temps dropped 10+ celcius across the board. On full load it still gets pretty hot, even tho I have smart fan set to off in the bios, the mobo only spins the cpu fan up fast when it breaks 60c. Wierd!

Anyway I am currently sitting at 3.5ghz @1.4v. To get stable at 3.6ghz it took another 1.45 and maybe even a little more, and got up to 70c.
I am not comfortable with that, this cooler is much better than stock but still cant compete with a core contact or xigmatek dark knight.

Check this sandra multimedia bench I just did at 3.5. Was only running the benches for stability testing but this caught my eye:

2817egy.jpg

Beat an i7 [email protected], STRIKE
What is your NB multiplier at ?

You guys with 3.5ghz + overclocks, did you guys need to raise the voltages on stuff other than the CPU? Ie the northbridge or cpu_nb vid?

What is your NB multiplier at ?

10. 200x10=2000mhz.

Too bad that CoolNQuiet won't work in vista without the multi set to auto. Having it clock my cores to 800mhz 0.9v when not in use was quaint =)

Not all needed to, but most did as it helps stabilize the clocks in general. Helps keep up with the faster memory and such.

Nice clocks, but you should be able to get atleast 200 to 400 more mhz depending upon things like cooling, 32vs.64 and so on.

Coolio, I look forward to those speeds when you are done. Are you doing cpu and gpu setup or are you going full blown with the cpu+gpu+fets+sb?

Back