• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Confuzzled

OK so call me an idiot but these nb and ft multipliers :confused:.... are y'all running the numbers to get them. Cause all I have to choose from in my bios is frequencies. M4a79 deluxe btw. I am up to 3940 on a high clock run, but it's far from stable.
CPU Ratio: 18.5
FSB Freq: 214
PCIE Freq: 100
DRAM Freq: 1115
CPU/NB Freq: 2508
HT Link: Auto
CPU V: 1.55
CPU/NB V: 1.35
CPU VDDA: Auto
DRAM V: 2.1
All the rest of the voltages are on auto
spread spectrum: Enabled
AI clock skew: Auto for both channels
I'm at a loss here folks
looking for at least a boot at over 4ghz:bang head

Which HSF do you guys like better for the PII.
The Sunbeam 120MM Core Contact: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004 (prolly getting this cause it can mount any direction on AM2)
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

They are both really similar, and same price after shipping. I think the core contact is slightly better hsf, while the xigmatek has a better fan. Would either of those fit a 120x38mm fan, I have 4 nice panaflo's that size...

Lastly, anyone anticipate either of these not fitting on my mobo? Pretty standard 790GX layout with heatpipe going around cpu socket. And right next to the socket I have 4 sticks of corsair dominator ram, big heatsinks on em
IIRC, one of those sinks points toward the PSU, the other points toward the back of the case (exhaust fan). I don't remember which is which but you might want to look a little closer at the mounts. I think either can use a 120x38 fan, they'd be poor sinks if they can't - but don't quote me on that.

The sink that points toward the PSU might have an issue with the Dominators in slots 1 & 2 - I know my TRUE would and it points "up" instead of "back" ...

The Sunbeam CCF points towards the back, the s1238 points towards the top, but you can mount it the other way with a special mounting kit, but that will cost you more.

In the frostytech reviews, the sunbeam CCF came out on top and is what I am seriously considering upgrading to.

you can check out this thread I created http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=600608 it has some nice info in it

I am also thinking of looking into a new cpu cooler as everyone knows I run stock :bang head and I am kind looking to raise my clocks back to 3.2ghz+.

NB Frequency voltage when set to x10 (2000MHz)

I would be most grateful if you guys could please elaborate on NB Freq. and voltage needed with the NB Frequency multiplier set to x10.

What need elaboration? Not to be mean, but there is a predefined list made by dolk with nb frequency and average voltage for that speed. But, the nb (north bridge) is the connect between the processor cores and the dram. So increasing that will increase bandwidth and increase memory read speeds, which equates to better synthetic scores and a more responsive system.

Edit: I went back and reread and I misinterpreted the first time. Those were cpu multipliers and voltages. Just listen to dolk, lol. He's thew good one here.

Last edited:
I would be most grateful if you guys could please elaborate on NB Freq. and voltage needed with the NB Frequency multiplier set to x10.

I'm still writing that up. I've been picky with how I word things and how to explain everything. There is a lot to the NB and I want to get it right the first time. I hope to finish it soon.

Cool, Core Contact it is, as I really want the fan blowing towards case exhaust anyway.

I think what his NB tests showed was the optimal nb scales with cpu speed right =)

I think what his NB tests showed was the optimal nb scales with cpu speed right =)

Correct. I hope to show you guys in the future what I truely mean by my charts. I know that it can be confusing at times :(

As for the dude right above this post. What is your cooling?

Hey for those looking for clearance on the Corsair dominator memory, a CM V8 clears them, but it might not fit in your case lol. BTW whoever posted the tip about the ASUS board and turning on Auto Express, I could buy you a beer. I was having to run so much CPUVID that i was getting ****ed. 3.8 at 1.5V now and to get that previously i had to put 1.58. THANKS!

How does the Auto Express reduce the CPU vid?

To be honest I have no idea lol, it did allow me to use less CPUVID to get the same clocks. I was having issues with this processor using about .5 more voltage to get the same speeds as others have stated. Someone mentioned the Auto Express and I gave it a shot and was able to use less voltage.

I have run the CPU up to 299 and have hit a wall with the multiplier at 19. I have hit 3.9 ghz on air but that takes 1.6 volts and thats just to much for comfort. Right now Im running 3.797(15.5 Mult and 245 Bus) at 1.55 volts. Anyone been able to get there setup prime stable at 3.8 and above?

o yes a lot of us have, its better in 32bit OS though.

I am running a 32 bit OS, guess I need to do more research on trying to get this chip to run a little harder. Mine will not become prime stable w/o increasing the voltage over 1.6 which from what I here isnt recommend unless your water cooling.

I'm still writing that up. I've been picky with how I word things and how to explain everything. There is a lot to the NB and I want to get it right the first time. I hope to finish it soon.

Thank you very much Dolk for all your hard work in getting the guide together, it's much appreciated. It's helped me out a lot as I'm back from a two year rocky hiatus with the Core 2 Quad and the 680i SLi chipset.

is it safe?

I have one question, how safe is the following on my setup?

North Bridge Multiplier: x12 (x9 stock)
North Bridge Clock: 2400MHz (1800MHz stock)
NB VID 1.25v (1.1750 stock)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
That should be good as long as it is stable. If I recall correctly it is safe to go up to 1.35 volts on the nb for speeds like 2800mhz+.

Hehe you can push it to 1.45v if you have the balls. But I suggest only do that if you are doing anything above 3.0ghz NB

Back