• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

domain controller perfect for home?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

i have three computer that use windows 7 home, 2 using windows xp pro, and my server uses windows server 2003.

im thinking of changing over to a domain controller...but

what would be the advantage to using a domain controller in my home?

For home use, there really is no reason. It is mainly used for management of a large number of systems.

You can't use a domain controller with W7 Home edition anyway.

No benefit. The only benefit would be the ability to manage user accounts, and enforce group policy. Everything else you do in your home has better solutions... managing user accounts and group policy isn't really relevant for home use.

darn. i was hoping to be able to sync user accounts and user files to the domain controller.

Ya, that would be another advantage I guess.

Syncing user files is fairly easy with sugarsync or dropbox, with some additional advantages in that setup like cloud backup.

That won't sync your user accounts exactly, but it could grab a lot of the settings and app options if you configure those folders to sync. That would work better with some apps than others.

You still have the problem of domain connectivity not working with your existing home premium installs.

To get a domain controller running, you'll need an edition of windows server that supports it. That would not be windows home server, which prohibits its use as a domain controller in the EULA, though its technically possible.

well i have windows server 2003 ENTERPRISE (180 day). friend of mine gave me his copy. so im pretty sure i can run the server as a domain controller.

but you say that it will not work on computers running home premium. i just want to be able to back up each computers account and user files onto the server. i thought domain controller would do it but since you put it that way then i guess thats outta the picture.

Only the Pro and higher versions can be joined to a domain, rendering a controller useless.

If you're wanting to sync folders, then you can still get some use out of the server. Set it up as a file server and not a domain controller. You won't get the groups management and rights as you would in a domain environment, but you still get network storage.

Next, map the shared location (\\server\userfiles\son) as a drive. Use a program (I prefer SyncToy) to automatically do a differential backup to the file share.

well i have windows server 2003 ENTERPRISE (180 day). friend of mine gave me his copy. so im pretty sure i can run the server as a domain controller.

but you say that it will not work on computers running home premium. i just want to be able to back up each computers account and user files onto the server. i thought domain controller would do it but since you put it that way then i guess thats outta the picture.

At the end of that 180 day period, the server will power down after being on for an hour even if you did want to use it.

You could still create scheduled tasks on the machines and have them back up to a centralized location without having a domain controller. Keep in mind that even with a domain controller, you would not get user file synchronization without doing work.

Back