• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't laugh too HARD!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And the point is, we learned and we do not have the same problems. Anyone can learn computers, it isn't rocket science.

Not if you are interested. In your profile you mention "surfing ocforums" as your interest. I quite like surfing here too... You have 5000+ posts on the forum during the last 4 years, which might even make you a computer enthusiast.

Now you are saying that you learned, so anyone can learn. Sure it's possible, but you just can't expect more then a fraction of people to have such passion towards computers, and you can't expect them to learn in a similar way without having the passion and interest.

We're moving in the right direction. Computers were once only ran by scientists and researchers. As things continue to get more complicated, the center of gravity is moving further into the infrastructure and further away from the user. More elegant solutions and algorithms are hiding the ugly complication from the people who just want to use the tool to get things done.

But have we really been going to a direction which hides the complication from the user? Sure computers where previously only run by scientists. After that point end users just ran some application on a terminal and somebody else managed the system (and the problems). Now people have to manage it all themselves.

I would even argue things where more simple under dos then they are now.

This point wouldn't be complete without a car analogy - hopping in my car and driving to work is a lot more mindless now than it was with the Model T. My car is a lot more complicated than the Model T was, but its easier to use. Same with computers and technology. The heavy work is being done up front, in the background, and built into the design so the end users don't have to worry about the specifics and can just get things done quicker.

The problem is that if the users don't worry about the specifics they will have a computer infested with malware, credit cards compromised and identity stolen.

With a car they will have a warning light come up as soon as there is a problem. With a computer the problem will first disable the warning light, and then manifest in the back ground.

The car analogy is good, or at least should be. I do believe this is the direction computers should be going to. Hide all the background complications from the user - it's just not happening now, and the background complications cause huge problems in terms of online crime.

But have we really been going to a direction which hides the complication from the user? Sure computers where previously only run by scientists. After that point end users just ran some application on a terminal and somebody else managed the system (and the problems). Now people have to manage it all themselves.

I would even argue things where more simple under dos then they are now.

The problem is that if the users don't worry about the specifics they will have a computer infested with malware, credit cards compromised and identity stolen.

With a car they will have a warning light come up as soon as there is a problem. With a computer the problem will first disable the warning light, and then manifest in the back ground.

The car analogy is good, or at least should be. I do believe this is the direction computers should be going to. Hide all the background complications from the user - it's just not happening now, and the background complications cause huge problems in terms of online crime.

Um, do you know why Macs are so popular? "They just work". Clearly, the "average user" is definitely being catered to.

By definition, half the world is smarter than the average user. If you are smarter than someone, than you can deceive them. What percentage of the top 50% would deceive maliciously? You're never going to be able to remove that weakest link, the users themselves.

Oh and btw, computers are already being treated as cars. Their computer stops working, or acts funny, or acts slow, then they go and bring it to be repaired. It's just that the "problems" are more intelligent than the problems you get with a car, and so will actively hide.

To be honest, I'm of the completely opposite opinion. I think that significant computer education should be incorporated into early education, because computer usage has probably become the most common activity after sleeping. Plus, simply having knowledge of how a computer works increases efficiency of work done, and that never is a bad thing.

Whenever friends ask me to help them with computer problems, I will always refuse to help unless they understand the exact problem, and how certain actions/effects are linked to consequences/symptoms. Almost all of them learn the first time, and the rest the second time.

Um, do you know why Macs are so popular? "They just work". Clearly, the "average user" is definitely being catered to.

I use macs. I do agree they seem to be a lot easier for the average user, but not quite. Also while they have been safe for some time, a stupid user can infect a mac just as fast as he can a windows machine (given the malware and vulnerability exist).

By definition, half the world is smarter than the average user.

Depends on what average you are looking at. If you mean median, then sure, if you mean average IQ then no.

If you are smarter than someone, than you can deceive them.

It's not quite that simple...

What percentage of the top 50% would deceive maliciously? You're never going to be able to remove that weakest link, the users themselves.

There are quite good measures in place that even smart people doing crime might be caught and tried. The current legislation, difficult international cooperation and companies not even reporting cyber crimes are the real problem. Somebody stealing from 200 shops will most probably get tried and caught for a lot of the cases. Somebody stealing 200 identities won't get caught.

Oh and btw, computers are already being treated as cars. Their computer stops working, or acts funny, or acts slow, then they go and bring it to be repaired. It's just that the "problems" are more intelligent than the problems you get with a car, and so will actively hide.

The time when malware made computers work visibly funny is starting to be over. Most of the biggest viruses (end of 90's, beginning of 00's) made the computer stop working properly due to bugs, or a lack of throttling (use all bandwidth). Most current malware hides itself very well.

To be honest, I'm of the completely opposite opinion. I think that significant computer education should be incorporated into early education, because computer usage has probably become the most common activity after sleeping. Plus, simply having knowledge of how a computer works increases efficiency of work done, and that never is a bad thing.

Young people are not really as big a problem as older ones.

Back