• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Draining loop & changing the water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To drain the loop above:

*With all ports sealed place a bowl under the bottom GPU port.
*Remove the plug. A very small amount of water will drain into the bowl.
*You can now either undo the fill port on the reservoir and most of the loop will drain into the bowl or you could attach a piece of tubing to the port before opening the fill port to direct the water elsewhere. I always try to avoid pulling tubes off because it always ends up messier with water gushing from two places instead of just one.
A simple loop like should easily drain most of the fluid but some slight case tipping may be needed. Then just refill with fresh coolant. Taking rads and blocks out should not be needed for a simple coolant change.

To clean the blocks (now that the loop is drained) you should disassemble them and give them a polish with non abrasive metal polish.
As a suggestion, get yourself a large syringe like a 20ml+ size (I use a 50ml) and a length of narrow silicon tube you can find at any pet or aquarium store, normally used for air tubing in fish tanks. It is the perfect size to fit the nipple on the syringe. You now have a great mess free way to add water to the loop, and even better, a way to suck fluid out of places by feeding the tubing in to radiators, reservoirs etc.

Last edited:
Hey, I am now in the process of cleaning it etc. CPU block is cleaned, I've dusted everything and done the radiator dance with both of them several times.

I am now in the process of cleaning the GPU blocks, I opened one up and it does look like there's corrosion... There's some around the O-ring, a little on the fins, mostly on what the picture shows though.

Is there a way to fix it? :S Or do I have to get a new one?

Attachments

• DSC_0169.jpg
    DSC_0169.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
Finished!

Just powered up the system after leak testing. Running great so far :D I ran furmark for 20 minutes on 1920x1080p and my GPU temps reached 48c. The radiator I added in the bottom is the Alphacool NexXxos 240mm copper radiator, the fans on it are Corsair SP120 Green LED. Tubing is PrimoChill Advanced LRT UV Pearl Green.

Not the cleanest looking system. the UV on the top rad is wonky because the cable wasn't long enough. right now I'm just happy I got it all together and running :)
DSC_0177.jpg

Since there is barely any space between the PSU and the Radiator on the bottom I couldn't fit any type of drain port, So I noticed that this port lined up pretty well under the case. I can't install a proper drain port there either though, because that's where my dust filter goes (removable). The idea is that I'll put the computer over the sink and unscrew the port to drain it.
DSC_0172.jpg

Thank you guys for all the help! Your answers helped me put together my watercooling system together. I was pretty scared about having to do all of this myself, but I gained confidence with the information you provided :salute:

So I noticed that this port lined up pretty well under the case. I can't install a proper drain port there either though, because that's where my dust filter goes (removable). The idea is that I'll put the computer over the sink and unscrew the port to drain it.
View attachment 163693

Great idea! :thup:

Thank you guys for all the help! Your answers helped me put together my watercooling system together. I was pretty scared about having to do all of this myself, but I gained confidence with the information you provided :salute:

Not a problem. Once you do it the first time and build that confidence and knowledge up, there's nothing stopping you now. :salute:

Back