• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DRAM and NB frequency not lining up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electroshock777

Registered
Alright, so I'm a bit confused about my RAM speed. As I understand it, DRAM frequency x2 should equal NB frequency. However:
mem speed.PNG
I am running triple channel G.Skill DDR3 RAM rated at 2133Mhz, so the NB frequency seems about right, but then the DRAM frequency is a quarter of that rather than half?
I am a bit of a newb to this so I could be missing something, but could someone please explain if it's supposed to be like this?

What are your system's specs (motherboard, CPU, etc.). If AMD, they have traditonally not had the best memory controller on their chips and the motherboard may just just setting the speed at something it considers "safe". Have you tried setting the speed manually in the BIOS? And does your motherboard support 2133 MHz?

Thanks for the advice. I've tried that, though this still doesn't make sense:
mem speed2.PNG
The DRAM frequency seems right, but now the NB also doubled?

Dram and NB don't need to be double... that said 1000mhz in CPUz is 2000mhz ddr, and if that is true 2000 is half of 4000.

The speed you see now just isn't idle. It ramps up AFAIK.

Thanks. And just to confirm(as I said I'm a bit of a newb), this isn't damaged my system in any way? Like I'm not overclocking my RAM or anything?

Well this makes no sense to me, but hopefully it does to you:
View attachment 201478
And after changed enabling xmp, windows doesn't see all of my RAM anymore? cpuz still picks up the 12GB, but windows:
memsize.PNG

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would edit that pic and lose your product key from it.

Try reseating the RAM, then test each slot with one stick. Next, test each stick in a known good slot.

I would think Windows can't use the 4 GB it can't see, but CPU-Z sees it.
That's odd. And not very helpful, I know. I don't think I've seen that before. You know the old turn-it-off-and-back-on? Maybe try a cold boot instead of a restart?

Maybe someone more familiar with Windows 10 can chime in about whether or not it or some application may have "reserved" 4 GB, making Windows not see it as available.

Thanks anyway.
Again, what really confuses me is why it's fine with xmp disabled, but as soon as I turn it on, the 4GB just 'disappear.'

X58 system needs NB frequency to be **at least** double of ram speed. It can be higher, but not less than double.

4ghz on NB is insane fast. How much voltage do you need to your memory controller? Edit: also having all 6 slots populated puts more strain on memory controller. I can't believe it even works on 4ghz. Did you test it for ataility?

Third channel(4gb) might be disappearing because it's not stable. It happens on mine if I overclock too far.

Update to OP.

I just tried running 4ghz Uncore(north bridge, imc, etc) at 1.35vtt and it wouldn't even load up memtest from CD drive. Restart right away.

Next I tried 3.6ghz @1.35vtt. it posted and went successfully into memtest, but after roughly 10 minutes, screen went blank and when I forced restart, I was greeted with default Asus post screen. All settings went into defaults(bios crash?).

I now set uncore 3.5ghz and running memtest to see if it's stable. Voltage is still set to 1.35vtt

Not sure how you are running successfully 4ghz memory controller.. what voltage is it feeding?

Mines
Asue p6t d v1
i7 920
8gb(4gbx2) ram
175x21 CPU 3.6ghz (1.23vcore)

Back