• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DRAM voltage jump with FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay. Formatted the floppy with dos boot, rebooted and it miraculously worked. Like my PC always did. You can never get it to work and the it suddenly works.... :)

I saw this:
A:\> mode con codepage prepare = ((852) ega.cpi)

MODE prepare code page function completed

A:\> mode con codepage select = 852

MODE select code page function completed

A:\> keyb pl,,

A:\>

A:\>

Then I typed

A:\> C:\

And got invalid direcotry or something

also CD test was invalid

So I typed:

A:\> afud408.exe

and got the help file out with commands. That was after the floppy switch.

So I just whacked in

A:\> Afud408 A7236IMS.520

and waited. It updated everything and Im on the right tracks now.
Weird thing, it wouldnt accept any commands...... Reboot, exit, boot, nothing.... In the end I just switched it off and back on again (due to me putting a custom CPU fan in, I dont have now the reset switch plugged in...)

Confirmed in CPUID bios 5.2

Lets now move onto O/C :)

Okay so I returned back to my o/c settings of previous, due to bios wiping them clean and I tried going past the mystica 228 barrier. Unfortunately the original issue still occurs i.e. voltag jumps up. I do not know if this is going to allow me to run my memory so I didnt boot it with increased voltage yet. So for now settings are as they were.

CPUZ is saying much the same thing really.
Voltage on all 3 latencies is 1.8v..... my nominal is 1.9v....
and that technically I should have my latency set to CL4. but it works fine a little below CL3 even. cuz CL3 is supposed to be 3-3-3-9 and mine is 3-3-3-7 :) On ddr2 that is :)

Well, should I loosen latency and try booting it with increased voltage? or is there something else that I can do to make the voltage stay put?

Hidden options in bios? Or unlockable through windows files?

Okay, this will be a double post but nevermind.
If anyone could help, my memory voltage is STILL rising when I go past 228 FSB and when I set it to 266 FSB as my core was intended to, it doesnt even BEGIN to boot. Whatever I do I cant get past this wall.

Any ideas??

When you set the FSB to 266, I think you need to manually set the memory frequency to DDR400. Otherwise it might be trying to set the memory much higher than it can run. It should be at a 1:1 ratio on the CPUz Memory tab with a 266 FSB.

Did any new items show up in the BIOS menu?

Okay, by default my Memo would run at the 533 setting. Putting it up to 609 as it is and thus dissallowing the PC to boot up, especially with my latency timings. Now, I HAVE it set already to 400. And this isnt the issue. Issue is that the RAM voltage just goes up. Its like it is an automatic thing that I cannot switch off.... on my Kingston die it says 1.8v and default setting is 1.9v. I dont hink anything new came to bios.

I even tried loosening the timings to 5-5-5-15 which is literally as high as it gets for me (for the 15 value, others go up little higer to 6 I think).
So yeah, it is just frustrating.....

Can you boot at 266 FSB with the memory set at 400, just with high volts on the RAM? If so, rig a fan to the memory & be done with it. If not, I think you need a newer mobo with a better chipset and better BIOS options.

Google tells me MPS revision is multi processor support and the options should be 1.1 or 1.4. Hardware and software since the PIII and Windows NT supports rev1.4. IDK if this even has any effect on a multi core single processor or if it only applies to multi socket server boards.

Last edited:
Last thing to try would be to reset the CMOS (move the jumper or pull the battery for a few minutes), start up into BIOS, F7 (usually) to load defaults, than Save & Exit. After you've done that, give overclocking straight to 266MHz another try.

I'm on the fence with that board. It will support your CPU, but it might not support your PC2-4200 RAM. The spec only claims PC2-5300 & PC2-6400 support.

My RAM is of PC2-5300 standard. BUT the mobo has only got 2 slots for it so I will still need to replace the dies with 2GB ones. It supports up to 8GB though so it is a very future-proof board.
The only bug for me is that its SMALLER than my current one. It is trurly tiny. COnsidering I just bought a PCI fan and a sound card......... Coupled with my massive-sized GPU (with its own memory choking it...). hmm, Houston, we have a problem.

But never fear, I got plenty of spare hardware :) My old 7600GT, old PSU, old intel fan lying about somewhere out of the way. I can always sell that to boost the budget and make my rig pay for itself xD!

A bit off-topic but I just got my PCI fan (which I believe to be a sucker.... oh joy, I need to put it somewhere else as it sucks my GPUs air out right from undearneath the intake fan.....) and my sound card :) I am updating software as we speak :)

Also I now have hi-speed cable broadband :) RESULT!

Latency on my mums laptop (with ethernet) was 37ms!!

From router to my PC through a custom hi-speed dongle - only 42ms!!!

Speed on my PC is 11.5 meg :) Courtesy of speedtest.com :)

A bit off-topic but I just got my PCI fan (which I believe to be a sucker.... oh joy, I need to put it somewhere else as it sucks my GPUs air out right from undearneath the intake fan.....) and my sound card :) I am updating software as we speak :)

Also I now have hi-speed cable broadband :) RESULT!

Latency on my mums laptop (with ethernet) was 37ms!!

From router to my PC through a custom hi-speed dongle - only 42ms!!!

Speed on my PC is 11.5 meg :) Courtesy of speedtest.com :)

Awesome! :thup:
You gotta love broadband!

Back