• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dreaming of a P4 2.4 OC system ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Theres gota be a way to know weather or not im getting a C ???

Is there a certain code on the chip too look for like amd's ?

or a part#

I want the C :D

cozmo_d said:
Theres gota be a way to know weather or not im getting a C ???

Is there a certain code on the chip too look for like amd's ?

or a part#

I want the C :D

the speed will say 2.4C or 3.0C

mtb856 said:
The IC7-G MaxII is exactly the same as the IC7-G, but the Max II has a newer BIOS I believe and they just slapped a "Max II" sticker on the IC7-G box.

"C" is the letter code that refers to the FSB speed:

A = 400 FSB (4 x 100 mhz)
B = 533 FSB (4 x 133 mhz)
C = 800 FSB (4 x 200 mhz)

The "A,B,C"s are all Northwood cores for the most part (except the 2.4A and 2.66B), the Prescott's use "E" and the Extreme Edition Prescotts are "EE"

I'm not sure if the 430W Antec will work........ I would imagine that it should, but that depends on how many other things you have running in your computer and what video card you pick.

You may find that you need to get another PSU, but I'd just try it and see if your rails droop too much.

Presscott's also use the A. Search newegg for northwood cores at 800Mhz FSB. then you'll get a C

Newegg has none just tryed that earlyer

I found some 2.4c & also 2.6c
Northwood Cores the 2.4 is 130$
the 2.6 is 135$ , they have 800fsb & HT

should I get the 2.6c ? or is it the 2.4 that oc like mad ? or does it matter?

Sorry for so many questions I want to build the right thing, not make any mistakes.

one more question my Thermalright k7 isint going to be enough HS I dont belive, any tips on a very good HS for ocing this chip that will fit well on an IC7-G Thxyou

Last edited:
That's the one I use on the 2.4C @ 3.4. Works a charm, keeps it cool and quiet. There are those who like the 2.6C better but since the 2.4 has a lower multiplier one can if they run some good ram get more performance out of the 2.4C.

Depends on your ram. If you are going to run at 5:4 around 225+MHz fsb then the 2.6C is fine. If you are going to get some kickass ram and run at 1:1 around 280+fsb then the 2.4C is the better way to go.

R

Sweet Thx for all the swift help gents

I should have this done buy the end of the month

Going to grab the processor first before they vanish

might go with the Thermalright XP-90c but that zalman is a good price compared ill have too look at some reviews to see if the xp90 is worth it thx again !!

I'd say to get the zalman AlCu. It will keep it cool enough. But if you wanna get a good overclock, buy a copper model, mod the fan, change your case fan layout and lap the base.

(all suggestions from my 7700/7000 guide in my sig)

in the past, many many many 2.6c's mysteriously topped out at 3.25, while the 2.4c's would keep clocking. i would go with a 2.4c myself, but i don't know if the new 2.6c's are any good.

let's not get the models confused here guys.

2.4 (with 400 fsb)
2.4b (with 533 fsb) these 3 are northwood cores
2.4c (with 800 fsb)

2.4a (prescott core) no HT, 533 fsb

the original 2.4 is commonly referred to as "A" even though it has nothing denoting it as "A". it was just simply the first revsion of the 2.4.

again, i say pick the 2.4c or 2.4a based on your current setup. if you have a good power supply and adequate cooling, go for the 2.4a since there are some 2.4c's that are reporting to not oc as high these days.

if not, the 2.4c has always been a decent choice. either way, focus more on the motherboard and ram for your setup. Any abit IC7 series board should oc fine. for ram, try something a little more than ddr400 to keep some headroom for overclocking.

I got a "C" Coming to me from a member here "BigStan" he hooked me up for 75$

I just recived my Lian-Li case Its very light, Im used too a full tower case but I couldnt pass on this case for 80$ on ebay, Its the Lian-li PC20 Moded by AMK.

Soon I will have the IC7-G

So including the ram I just upgraded to Intel for 370$

Thanks too great folks on newegg & ebay, shoping around is a pain, I woulda had to pay near 500$ for all this stuff, If purchased new, well... thats only 130$ saveing's but hey it takes me about 1-1/4 dayes to make 130$

anyway I hope my ram will OC ok :) Id be happy with 2.7@900fsb

Thanks again for all the help

PS forgot the ZALMAN CNPS7000B-Cu LED 48$
and the ZALMAN VF700-CU VGA COOLER 35$ ouch 83$ that just cut my saveings alot lol

Last edited:
CPU.jpg

my 2.4c 24/7 for months...

rock solid and stays very cool

WOW!!! the Zalman 7000B cu Led HS came today from newegg........

That is very impressive!!! Im just holding it & Laughing

The LianLi PC20 has also arrived, man its small but its packed with features.

The processor will be here this tuesday...

and the mobo will be holding me back a week or so........

Dam Im excited can you tell !!!

Last edited:
throw some AS5 between that zalman cooler and the cpu and you could drops temps another 3-5°.

i've got a similar setup at 3.4ghz and my temps are pretty close to ojibewa's.

I have the 2.4C in my "old" computer. Wait until I drop in my OCZ Rev. 2's and tighten those timings....

Here is a screen shot of my 2.4C @ 275mhz 1:1 PAT enabled:

PS - I hate the upload image size limit on Overclockers... :bang head :bang head

Attachments

• 2.4C @ 275mhz.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Back