• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dreaming of a P4 2.4 OC system ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok I have this bad boy up & running

IC7-G, P4 2.4c, ocz gold 3200

Since I am an amd builder normaly can someone give me some tips on exzactaly what I need to change in the softmenu setup (bios) to get some small oc too begine with I just want to get 2.8 for now

I had this setup

235/66/33
2820mhz
1.75v

It wouldnt boot, theres some setting about STRAPPING ? what do I set it too ?

also the 1:1 & the 5:4 setting wich should I use ?

Help.......... ..............................

Well this is the damdest thing ive seen yet

If I raise the FSB up as little as 205 I will lose the Sata drives, they just vanish the bios canot see them anymore, switch back to auto save & restart poof sata drives are then recognized & have too also reset boot order in bios.

This is bullcrap !!!!

Ive tested ocing this rig now every way I can think of & it Wont boot to windows cuz the os is on the sata drives, If I rais the fsb even too 201 it looses the drives !!! WTF

agp/pci 66:33 and you can use your sata drivers

first loosen your ram timings to 3-4-4-8 since intel doesnt care about tight timings. Put 2.8 vdimm on the ram. Set the cpu:ram ratio to 1:1 and start upping the fsb. Remember no more than 1.7 vcore on the cpu =]

calcal said:

first loosen your ram timings to 3-4-4-8 since intel doesnt care about tight timings. Put 2.8 vdimm on the ram. Set the cpu:ram ratio to 1:1 and start upping the fsb. Remember no more than 1.7 vcore on the cpu =]

Ok calcal Ill give it a shot & report back

In the bios it sayes that the agp/pci clocks are locked at 66/33

but in the past attempts at oc @ boot screen it was 70/35 or sometin close too that.

How do i lock the agp/pci

Lat said:
if you're getting the 2.4c used, make sure you get an m0

they generally clock better

my d1 tops out at 3.1GHz or so

3.1 would be great I only want 2.8 for now

CPUZ sayes the revision is a D1 but theres still hope, the gent I bought it from sayes: If memory serves him right he was OCing it @ 287 FSB Seems high but maybe he was on water

Revision D1
SL6WF - Costa Rica
3318A383-0631

Last edited:
calcal said:

Ok cal I tryed 3.4.4.8, It will not boot get long memory beep error.

the loosest timeings this ram will run is 2.5.3.3.8

Next Im wondering about that straping setting ??? hat do i set it too ?

CPU or 800 ?

Sweet !!! Finaly I figured out how to lock the AGP/PCI @ 33/66 :bang head

Ram timeings are 2.5 3 3 8 Vdimm is 2.6 (for now)

cpu is fsb 210 @ 1.525 V core (For now)

Im on my way :cool:

Thx for the help

thats some odd ram you got there !

i guess start pushing your fsb up from 2.5 3 3 8
got a link to your ram?

calcal said:
thats some odd ram you got there !

i guess start pushing your fsb up from 2.5 3 3 8
got a link to your ram?

Well It dosent even like 2.5 3 3 8, It will boot at 2.5 3 3 8 at 200fsb, but once I oc the fsb it wants 2.5 3 3 7 :argue:

anyway I ran super pi 32m test
I have it stable at 2.64Mhz, vcore 1.60v
Memory timeings 2.5 3 3 7, vdimm 2.8
50c under load

Then I ran sandra & did a memory bandwith benchmark the bandwith was 3500 range wich seemed low.

I read some of the sandra tips & it said the memory timeings were not optomized, So I changed the Oc too 209fsb & lowered the memory timeings down too 2 2 2 5 & the bandwith shot through the roof.

So whats better 2.64mhz with 3500 bandwith or 2.5 with 5000 Bandwith?

here are some pics...

sandrabandwith.jpg
cpuzmemspeed.jpg

cpuzcpu.jpg

Im gona go with 2.5mhz at 5000 bandwith 2225 timeings

seems faster too me

It could clock faster but the ram is holding me down

I wish I would have went with ddr4000 with normal timeings

live & learn

I still have a 2.4C on an IC7-G as a backup rig and had another one once upon a time, so I will try helping you a bit.

What I would recommend first is setting your speed back to default, then update the BIOS. Use the Abit FlashMenu program, it's easy.

Now check out this Abit O/C guide.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=258345

Looks like you finally figured out how to "fix" the AGP/PCI to 66/33. Just set the the N/B strap to 800. On the same BIOS menu as the RAM timings, disable the last 2 game accelerator settings.

Don't overvolt the vcore. I would not exceed 1.65v max and that's only if you have good cooling.

Some RAM don't like relaxed CAS settings as you found out. Use 2.8v VDIMM and 1.6v AGP voltage. Then maybe try 2-3-3-6 timings for now to see how high you can O/C. You can play with timings to fine tune it later.

The higher you can run the FSB, the better the performance. Don't worry too much about Sandra memory benchmark scores. As long as you are running dual channel, that's all that matters.

Crank up the FSB. Using the 5:4 ratio and tight timings is as good as the 1:1 ratio and loose timings as long as you can run high FSB with the 5:4 ratio. Unlike AMD, Intel isn't that picky about only using the 1:1 ratio. Good luck.

Thanks alot Batboy.....

Bios is updated already

I will wright down everything you said & go test right now

Thx !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O ya batboy your the man !!!

Im at 2.9Mhz right now 2336 timeings all that advise worked like a charm thx Bat !!!

44c no load
53c Load

Still need to run Prime for a few hours :))))) THX

Whats an acceptable load temp ?
prime is pushing it hard too 56c right now

Last edited:
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Batboy!!! If you were at my house Id hug you man!

Im at 3.0mhz 2,2,2,5 timeings

Have a beer on me m8 THX AGAIN !!!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooooooooooooo

v core 1.55 load 53c

Ya babyyyyy

Last edited:
Yippee! Now you're cooking. I would try to keep load CPU temp at low 50's if possible. Sounds like you are getting close to the edge with temps. Maybe you need to improve case ventilation a little. Organize and tie back wires and cables for better air flow. Look at the link in my signature for case modding for better cooling. Looks like you have some sweet RAM there with those 2-2-2-5 timings, awesome. Oh yeah, I took your suggestion and got me a beer.

This is the case, Lian li it has 6x80mm 35cfm fans in it right now, there quiet belive it or not got um from newegg. and it has an antec duel bay fan.

I have the wires & cableing as clean as possibal Ill check your tutorial tho

I let prime95 run for 3 hours while I was gone
system temp 38c
pwm 46c
cpu 56c

Thats a tad hot, the case & pwm seem, fine might need to do a fanmod on the zalman

thx again Bat!

Last edited:
Haaa, I figure you guys are getting sick of this post so heres the last post from me on this thred, My dream is fullfilled & Im happy with this rig, Salute too all who helped also a big thx too BigStan & Batboy.

CLICK THE PIC TO RESIZE IT.....
benchmark3.jpg

Back