• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Drive for 5GHZ ..... FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bassnut

Premium Member
4845 FX 8350 _2.png Not that I needed it but .....Well I just had to do it ..... Picked up the FX 8350. Not sure why, a little project, help sales for AMD, for curiosity sake ..... :shrug:

Well .... it looks like these chips have a sweet spot .... 4.8GHZ just like the FX 8150 did at around 4.5GHZ where after you hit it ..... it really takes a big voltage change to get stable.

Stable 2hrs Prime blend

Last edited:
8350@5GHZ.png Where I am now ......

I have not quite found a working combination for 5GHZ yet I can get it stable to run prime blend for about 30 - 40 min then get an ILLeagal Sum Out errorand have taken my VCore up to 1.524v and 1.275 CPU/NBv which bumped my temps up to about 60*C on my cores. I am packing this in for tonight and give this baby a little rest.

Any thoughts would be apprecieted ...... :salute:

Last edited:
Bass, it seems like mine likes the fsb raised instead of upping the multi. When I was trying for 4.9, I kept getting errors on AIDA and IBT when I raised the Multi to 22 or above. I'm going to try more FSB when I try for 5.

If having trouble raising multiplier above XX multi for overclocking try upping CPU PLL Voltage (VDDA Voltage) and see if it helps.

Prime Styable 5GHZ.png Well here it is. I stoped Prime ar 2.5hrs as I didnt see any reason to torture this puppy any more. There has been some talk about prime vs Aida64 I may run Aida to see what kind of difference there is between the two as for what it takes to keep this CPU stable at 5GHZ. There is no way I will this OC as a 24 / 7 rig as it took 1.55v of VCore to get this OC stable.

I am sure there are some tweeks that someone more knowlegable than me of all the BIOS settings can make a possible difference. Looks like this time AMD was up front about what they realistically expected this CPU to be able to accomplish and be stable.

(EDIT) Sorry for the crappy picture ..... shoulda been paying more attention when I was making it a bit smaller.

Last edited:
stabilitytest.png

stabilitytest_Stats.png

stabilitytest_volts.png

AIDA.png That is very comparable to what Prime was doing with my FX 8150 @ 4.8GHZ.

As a comparison I ran the same settings with AIDA 64 for 3 hours Somthing I noticed where Prime needed 1.55v on my cores AIDA only drew 1.535 and temps never got above 52*C acording to Core temp ..... here are the picks

Last edited:
That vcore is pretty high...
As long as the board wasn't throttling from Over-Current/VRM Over-Temp Protection that's great.

I know with FX-8100 series, it was hard to keep VRMs cool, even at modest voltages like 1.45v-1.475v.

Yes BeepBeep I have no intention of keeping my OC this high 1.55v . This was more of a challenge for me.When I have time I may try and figure out another way to do this and keep it stable. I will probably bump it down to 4.8 or 4.9 ..... I think I was around 1.46v ish stable. If I find the time I may dive deeper into my bios and figure out some of the other setting that are there.

Yes BeepBeep I have no intention of keeping my OC this high 1.55v . This was more of a challenge for me.When I have time I may try and figure out another way to do this and keep it stable. I will probably bump it down to 4.8 or 4.9 ..... I think I was around 1.46v ish stable. If I find the time I may dive deeper into my bios and figure out some of the other setting that are there.

Nice OC.. I really wish I could do that but I don't have a proper cooler yet. ohh btw would you mind sharing all your settings in bios? like things that you have to turn off and adjust those llc stuff and all etc. that's if you don't mind... I just wanted to see if I'm doing mine right and for me to get a view on how to properly overclock. Thanks.

ps: I can't upload any pic of my settings yet since I can't/won't overclock until I change my wimpy H70.

Back