• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drying out a motherboard... Like a boss

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Had problems on cold tonight right from the start. Had to torch the pot to get it unfrozen off the CPU, now its time to dry out the motherboard and melt off what vaseline is left...

DSC03874.jpg

EDIT: Summary of this thread:

- On liquid nitrogen, I had cold bugs which prevented me from getting temperatures as cold as possible. When cold the motherboard gets frosty and wet.

- Torpedo heater pictured above used to melt off most the vaseline and warm the board back up

- Motherboard placed in dishwasher to remove the rest of the vaseline and debris from socket

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

- Motherboard placed in oven at 150F, to help it dry quicker

- Motherboard put back in front of torpedo heater to finish drying

- Not only did the motherboard not die, however the cold bug problems I had earlier were completely gone! After a few hours for the above process, I went back to benchmarking it on ln2. I took 2nd in the US, up from 3rd, by setting new personal records for wprime32 and wprime1024

Last edited:
You are gonna come out later and just have a melted blob of plastics with some VRM sinks globbed in it :p

You are gonna come out later and just have a melted blob of plastics with some VRM sinks globbed in it :p

That would be almost equally useful to me in its current state.

But I've already moved onto stage 2 of operation "Screw this Mobo!" It's in the dishwasher now...

DSC03877.JPG

DSC03878.JPG

DSC03879.JPG

In the middle picture, looks like the pad between the mosfet heatsink up top kind of melted out of position. Will have to stick that back in there once its out and dried.

I love how this doesn't seem odd to me at all, my wife gives these photo's a weird look though. :p

Hopefully it gets revived.

Now this is what I call a dire case of sado-motherboardism.....

*Leaves quietly hoping nobody will notice*

To the boards credit, it has thus far refused to outright die.

It's back on the bench now and running at -1C... Pulling it back down to see if and where it bugs out.

In the past 4 hours, it went from -150C, to the torpedo heater, to the dishwasher, to the oven, back to the torpedo heater, and now back to subzero. If a board is going to die, at least this one will have earned the right.

And we're back at full pot folks. Not. A. Single. Cold bug.

And I guess that wraps it up. Vaseline on Ivy Bridge is a bad idea. But not so bad of an idea that it can't be fixed with a torpedo heater, a dishwasher, an oven, and a few hours. :D

Are you going to try that with all of the other cold bugging boards that you have?

That's great to hear, except now I have to clean my board now lol. Never did bother as it's my only 1156 board and I don't want to go without a pc that long. And to think just a couple years ago I'd of thought this was all crazy and now it's just normal I suppose lol.

Back