• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drying out a motherboard... Like a boss

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
3.564 ended up being my best wprime32. Took me from 103rd globally, to like 25th I think - haven't submitted it yet.

I also dropped my wprime1024 down to 116.406s, for 43rd globally I think, up from 83rd. Trying to better this one still, probably got a half second or so left in it.

EDIT: 115.516s...

Jumped back into 2nd in the US up from 3rd, off these scores:

wprime32 @ 3.546s: http://hwbot.org/submission/2356163_
wprime1024 @ 115.516s: http://hwbot.org/submission/2356167_

Crashed trying to beat wprime1024, rebooted to bios, then was making settings for 4 cores and better ram timings/freq for superpi32m and it rebooted on me... Was acting funny, so I shut it down. When I went to power it back up, the power supply clicked but nothing turned on not even a fan spin... Just turned it back off and letting it thaw out now.

Would be funny if after all that, now it decided to die. I guess at this point I'd be pretty ok with that. Pretty crazy it ran at all after tonights abuse.Probably just moisture somewhere though. We'll see once its thawed.

That's some nice scores you got there :thup: and the TPP that goes with them is pretty damn good too :clap: guess where my MVG is going :D

Thanks. :D

Ya, I've got one mvg left here - sold the other and its been running fine on air for someone out there. Going to give it the dishwasher treatment and hopefully it will be benchable again too.

Leaving the heatsinks on didn't cause a problem with the dishwasher huh? but i guess the oven sorted out any trapped moisture.

Ya, heatsinks on thru dishwasher was no problem, though there is still Vaseline remnants around the mosfets. Oven and torpedo heater took care of leftover moisture, speeding up the dry time. No socket pin damage in the washer. I was worried about leaving it exposed in there but it did actually get everything out of the socket better than I could do with qtips, which left some goo and qtip fuzz that was tedious to try to remove with a knife and tweezers.

I forgot the CMOS battery and put that thru the wash. Remembered it before the oven, but it would probably have been fine anyway as it was lower than 200f.

I took off the heatsinks before doing the oven so I could fix the thermal tape there, lining it back up. Replaced them after the drying was all done.

Two layers of frost king around the socket. No other board insulation. Bottom layer of frost king cut to fit over all socket area capacitors. Top layer just cut out for socket. If the board powers up next time, I may do some LET around the socket. It was a relatively short session tonight by my standards and I think it was a frost melt problem that made it stop working.

Last edited:
Would be funny if after all that, now it decided to die. I guess at this point I'd be pretty ok with that. Pretty crazy it ran at all after tonights abuse.Probably just moisture somewhere though. We'll see once its thawed.

I powered the board back up earlier, and it started up without any problem - so the hard shutdown an no boot at the end of my last session was just a moisture problem.

I just finished painting the socket area with LET, and I'll be putting it through another session tonight. I'm hopeful that tonight's session will run longer than an hour or so but I'm not sure how good my painting job is. The way the last session ended short I think the 2 layers of frostking I was using aren't keeping the board dry well enough for the marathon sessions I'm accustomed to.

I have one square of art eraser, but I might go buy more if this session ends short too.

Frostking bleeds air through it, if there are even tiny gaps between it and, well, anything, condensation will form. I'm not a fan.

I wonder if this would work for gpus :p

@Robert: I love the idea of overclocking my appliances, gonna go put my oven under some LN2.

So I had problems on cold again last night. It took me about an hour to pull down temps, until I was just about to give up again... Then I pulled the stick of ram from the nearest red slot to the CPU, and the cold bugs were gone. 4 good hours of benching after that.

I had planned on rerunning sp32m, but with one stick that was out. I did get some good 3D results in still for 3d01 and aquamark though.

I don't know why it would coldbug with a stick of ram in the near slot.

Back