• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual cores, series or parallel or?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wymjym

Hi,
I just got this dual heater core cooler housing.

diyinrt.jpg

http://www.techcool.com/vpc/diywater.htm

I was going to use it to cool the oil in my current mobo submersion project but have decided to use it in another system.
Question is should I hook up the heater cores in series that is pump>hc>hc>cpu>etc>res or would it cool better if it was pump>hc>cpu>etc>hc>res?
How about parallel: pump>’Y’>hc,hc>Y>cpu>etc>res?
Thoughts? Experiences?
I appreciate your input.
wj

dual cores, series or parallel or?

I run mine in parallel. The benefits of parallel are that you will create a better flowrate than if you just ran through 1 core. Series will hurt flowrate. However, Cathar says he gets better temps running series over parallel, but this could be due to his monster Iwaki MD-30RZT. I would try it both ways and see which way gets you better temps with YOUR system...

depends on how U use them
There are two methods of placing rads:
1. side-by-side, separate air flow - parrel should work better then
2. air going through rad A then rad B - link in series, water goes to B, then to A

solution 1. seems to be better but costs more space, 2. would be good for in-case systems, when putting heatercores one to another

Fwiw, I'm running two in parallel and the performance is marginally better (~2C) than the same setup run in series (Danner MD3, two Fedco 2-198 h/c, Cascade cpu block, D-tek nb block).

Parallel works best for me, but I agree with Nik, I'd suggest trying it both ways to see which works best for you.

If you look at the picture the cores are mounted opposite each other, the fans will be in the rear...so now what do you think?
wj

rmonster said:

Parallel works best for me, but I agree with Nik, I'd suggest trying it both ways to see which works best for you.

so basically, you must try both ways to see if one is better than the other?
wj

Anyway if air doesn't need to go through one rad to go to ather, parallel mounting seems to be better.

And your pic:
If fans will be mounted on top, whre these round holes are and air output will be on left & right, parallel will be ok.
Of course you may try to run them in series to check results.

wymjym said:
If you look at the picture the cores are mounted opposite each other, the fans will be in the rear...so now what do you think?
wj
That makes no difference. If the box is air tight, except for the fan holes and rad holes, you have the fans sucking air OUT of the box, which draws air into the box through the rads. In either case, I would flip one of the cores around so the barbs are the same orientation, will make tubing set up cleaner.

wymjym said:

so basically, you must try both ways to see if one is better than the other?
wj

To be absolutely sure, yes.

However, your setup is very similar to what I'm running, with an external box and two heatercores mounted opposing each other. In my case, I got the best performance from pump-y-hc-hc-y-block-block-res. If I understood your first post correctly, this is the same routing path for the parallel setup you suggested.

If I were forced to take a guess at it, I'd imagine that this would probably yield the best results for you as well, based upon the results I obtained on my own setup.

Back