• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Internet Feeds (is it possible?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amarkarian

Okay i have all these strange ideas wondering around in my head and every once in a while i post them, heres one i have been thinking about for a while.

If you have a hub or some kind of internet cable splitter can you get dual ethernet jacks and make half you information run through each one to get twice the speed, much like dual processing. Is this possible/plausible?

Either way, you wouldn't get increased speed. Your house still has a limited bandwidth unless you pay for 2 interenet services. Back in the dialup days this WAS possible, with ISDN.

Yes - you can buy routers - around $500 that take 2 inet connections and feed them into one. but you have to buy 2 connections and often it is just better to upgrade your current service.

Well I would think there would be a way to make one line you Download and one your Upload, would not help much for the home user but I would think servers with heavy load may do it. My server has 2 NICs in it, when I am transporting a file i usally only see it going over one NIC.

^^^ you can do that easily

you put an upload account on 1 port and a download account ona 2nd port and use you router to point to each NIC - but that is completly pointless unless you have faster then a 100MB connection into your computer.

Windows will only use 1 NIC - you can set the priority of the NIC in it's properties, but again windows will only us one unless you turn on load balancing.

XiNCOM makes some good Dual WAN routers. A friend of mine has one, and has both a cable connection and DSL hooked up to the PC. The router automatically does load balancing between the two connections.

kinda pricey though, since the router was ~300, and has two internet connections to pay for.

Pioneering spirit, and an idea that would totally flop. An all too common and unfortunate thing. There is almost no personal application to this, unless you need the gauranteed connectivity that having cable and DSL should offer. Speed wise I doubt you'd ever notice it. Two cable connections are worthless since you'd be sharing the bandwidth with yourself anyway.

not if you have 2 completly seperate cable connections since a cable line can handle upto 10mb of speed - you get say 2 rogers 3mb connections into one router - since you will have 2 modems - so 2 seperate full 3mb accounts.

Back