• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet speeds for gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rainwater

So I'm not sure this thread is in the right spot but I need help with deciding what internet speed to get for gaming. I am currently in a spot where I cannot be wired in and while gaming online with friends I am having a pretty crappy experience. Constant lag and freezing. I'll be playing a shooter and my guy will just sto[ for a second then go and it'll happen so frequently that it's just no fun. So I am considering just getting my own cable internet and I am wondering if 175 mbps or 275 mbps is fast enough to never have experience this again. I will of course be wired in if I go this route. I really don't have to say much more you all know what I'm looking for. A solid smooth gaming experience that will never cause any lag or missed frames. Is 175 mbps fast enough wired in to never have these issues? Is 275 fast enough or do I need more?
Thank you for your time and response.

~20 mbps and 10 up is plenty for gaming when wired. What is your current internet plan? Really, it's likely your wireless connection which is the issue. Have you tried troubleshooting there? Better wifi, better router, switch channels on your wifi to one less populated, etc?

Well to be completely honest I had a really bad night on super bowl sunday feb of 2017 and it ended with me being involved in a hit and run dui and going to prison. That is why I have been away for 2 1/2 years. Long story short I've been out four months and live in sober living. Group living. They have century link here and I am in the attic with wifi only. I bought a fenvi wifi adaptor wifi 6 and even with wifi ac it's advertised up to 1700 mbps but I am not experiencing lag free gaming most the time. One of my roommates down stairs has a pc as well and when we play together in a game it's not cool. So I was just going to go to xfinity and get cable internet, they will give me a box I plug into my cable jack and I install and connect myself and was gonna wire in that way. Anyway I really don't know why I am saying any of this but point is I don't know what the internet plan is I know nothing about it I just know the attic has been converted into a seperate 2 bdroom apartment upstairs and there is no way for me to wire in and figured id get my own thru cable and not worry about it any more. I use the 5ghz channel and that is really all I can tell you. He experiences it as well but his room is close to the router in the main house so he got a 100 ft ethernet cable and wired himself in. I can't quite do that or I already would have.

Sorry, about what happened... glad you are on the straight and narrow and recovering. :)

I'd wonder if that is allowed in the group home, your own internet, etc. I'd ask whoever is responsible for the home first....

I would also try the 2.4 GHz side... 5 GHz is faster, but its range is more limited. Perhaps with a better signal that latency reduces.....

For gaming is more important latency than the high bandwidth. As it was mentioned, 20-50mbps is good enough for pretty much everything ... as long as there is low ping.
Usual problems with lag are on the ISP side. If you use WiFi then as ED said, try 2.4GHz as it provides a better signal in most situations.

Gaming actually dose not take much upload or download speed. BFV with a full 64 player map is around 272 kbps receive and 152 Kbps send.:) The send and return Ping is what counts.

Gaming internet speed.jpg

Right. AKA Latency. THe Mbps values I mentioned above are my lowest cable packages here, lol!

Okay sweet guys thanks a ton. Then I will just go with a cheaper 75mbps package for 29.99 if I decide to go that route. Sorry for the late reply I work graveyard an am just getting up lol. Worked ot last night so it wont be until tomorrow well today rather, that I go and speak with someone from Xfinity. I suppose I have another question or two. I bought the Fenvi ax3000 wifi adapter because of wifi 6. I was originally considering just buying a wifi 6 router and using my pcie adapter to connect to that but I don't really know if the strength of my signal would actually be improved. Also I can't find a dbi spec for the antennae that came with this thing but assume it's low and thought about picking up a higher dbi set from amazon. But if I just get my own internet I can return this adapter since I will need to buy my own router anyway.

Your basic wired plan will get the speeds you want providing the supplier is legit. Cfos Speed can shape your traffic in order to maximize game throughput, plus wireless routers connected to your wired network have traffic shaping abilities built-in usually. I have a $175 router but don't game and I know there is a huge list of games on it built-in. I just stream spectrum tv or netflix wirelessly and have zero issues mostly.

Back