• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DUCTING TIPS{My Experences}

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This might b a stupid question bur, If you add a duct to the side of the case how can u get the side panel on where the duct sits over the cpu.

eithier cut a hole or leave side off. I choose to leave side off b/c getting up parts for watercooling so this is only temporary for me.

chris_4130 said:
This might b a stupid question bur, If you add a duct to the side of the case how can u get the side panel on where the duct sits over the cpu.

Carefully! :)

Some side panels are a PITA to get back on with a
fan or fan/duct mounted to them. You have to
"measure twice and cut once," as the shop guys
always say.

The HP duct system is elbow shaped so they can
suck air from the back of the case. This leaves their
side panels simpler.

Tecumseh said:

Carefully! :)

Some side panels are a PITA to get back on with a
fan or fan/duct mounted to them. You have to
"measure twice and cut once," as the shop guys
always say.

The HP duct system is elbow shaped so they can
suck air from the back of the case. This leaves their
side panels simpler.

those ducts that draw from the back can also draw hot air thats exiting psu. a piece of cardboard to direct hot air away ducts intake is all you need to remedy that though.

Re: I'm going to make a duct!

MySTiCuSS said:
I'm going to make a duct will this be a good one? Because i don't want to mod my side panel!

This could certainly work, but wouldn't this get in the
way of a lot of cables, cards and other stuff?

Hi Guys
I have been playing around with ducts & case fan holes etc. for a while now, I got my temps to drop by 4-6C approx, the system seems to run quiter, but the big problem I had was the dreaded DUST! I was forever cleaning out.
My solution was to buy a better case (Antec 2 x inlet \2 x exhaust) & use 80mm quite fans by YS. The dust is of course still around but is`nt being directed straight on to my cpu. The flow of air is in & out, dust seems to exhaust out quite well. The system runs about the same temps as with the ducts & is very quite, which for me is my main concern.
Any way I just thought I`d add my bit of experience.

Acko

I think I have perfected my duct. orginally gave me a 8c drop then I was able to overclock higher but then temps went back up. so I took 60mm fan off heatsink and inserted an 80mm delta in duct so it was 1" away from the heatsink and temp dropped another 3c. so if my chip would run at the higher speed and vcore that would be a 11c drop! I have noticed that there isn't much of a difference in temps between idle and full load.

hey diehard, what did you use to cut the holes in the case for the duct? i know its prob astupid question cause i have a window kit and i used a pair of snips to do it but the snips are too big to cut a hole the size of a fan.....thanks

Be very very careful if anyone ever uses aluminum dryer ducting- my friends computer shorted out on the heatsync and killed the system- bad fan :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Spyder

Ducting

New to modding & OCing & starting with an ASUS A7V266E. Read your how-to on putting ducts into case sides, great!
Was strolling through my local electronic supply house & I found a good alt to the pvc pipes for ducting... bass reflex tubes or speaker ports. They come in a variety of sizes, cheap, made of plastic, easy to cut, install, and look cool. Have a look a this, http://www.simplyspeakers.com/13crossovers.htm for a picture of what I mean. They also carry some nic looking wire grills that would also look good.
Anyways keep up the good work.

i have one thing to suggust to all, if you have 2 fans working together, eather ducted or whatever, they have to be with-in +/-5 CFM of each other. if not you can creat extra problems.

Ive used ducts in several of my systems

it has allways proved to be a worthwile mod lowering cpu temp by as mutch as 10 C

as regards to useing them to exaust hot air from the alpha type coolers i beleve this would work but you would have to fix the fan to end of the duct so it sucked through the duct and expeled hot air straight out of the fan

i have used fans to blow air into the duct straight onto the cpu cooler athough if i used just the fan without the duct my case temps would fall segnificantly with only a slight rise in cpu temp

bare this in mind if u have a hot graphics card

if you need to remove the case side by sliding it back (like most of us) try using a flexable duct made from that flexable airduct stuff

Happy modding people :)

slater3333uk
Could you elaborate a little more on "i have used fans to blow air into the duct straight onto the cpu cooler athough if i used just the fan without the duct my case temps would fall segnificantly with only a slight rise in cpu temp". For instance the exact scenario that this happend (was there only one fan in the duct to cooler total, etc...). I plan on doing something like this soon and would like some more information.

Thanks.

but what about buying the duct equip, all i want is the 4-8 inch duct and use like tape to keep it on, where could i buy that small amount of duct?

OMG, the thread is reborn!

Um.....I bought my piece of ABS pipe at the local Home Depot. They whacked off a 1 foot piece for me, and it cost a whole 80 cents or something. Was a long time ago.

Back