• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duel bay fan control + Disk drive mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hallenhero

Registered
Sooo this is an odd mod idea but I think I need to figure it out. I am basically wondering if it would be possible to integrate a blue-ray/dvd combo drive into a fan controller that takes up 2 bays. I found a specific fan controller that looks like it might work. Here is a link to said controller. To save you some time however, I will post a pic for explanation of my idea.
Mods.jpg
Looking at the area towards the bottom of the controller(Where the logo is), I think it might be possible(and also bad A**) to have a disk tray emerge there. if you look at this picture of the back of the controller...
mods1.jpg
I might try to remove the PCB and install it instead horizontally on the top part of the internal disk drive. I would need an extension ribbon for the LCD control, but I think that is obtainable. Also, I am relying on the chance that the LCD is not attached to the PCB in some difficult way.

I would love some comments on this idea, and if I attempt it I will make a build log and a step by step guide. The reason I am interested in this project is because my *extremely* expensive case I just bought only has a duel drive bay. I would be making this device for my latest build which can be found here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709098

Also, if this idea does not fail horribly, I might make an attempt to contact the company and pitch the idea of them producing it and selling it themselves. This would be for no gain for myself, but rather for the satisfaction of knowing that people who don't want 3+ bays taken up, or just don't have enough bays, have a solution.

Anyways, once again ideas are appreciated, and I am an electrical engineer at my school and have access to good equipment, so don't be afraid to get complicated.

This sounds cool also if you could get the lcd to show what dvd/cd/bluray you have installed and can FF and RR by touching the screen.

Back