• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD-Burner stops recognizing its own dvds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
started having a wierd problem lately... the burner stops recognizing its own cds and dvds... it has no trouble with retail ones or even some burned cds

anyone have any idea what the problem maybe?
I just did a fresh format and reinstall of windows

update:
it reads retail dvd movies, burned cds and regular cds but not burned dvds. I have tried 2 different versions of firmware and also installed nero and re-installed UDF drivers and it hasnt changed anything

anyone help me out a bit?

What Nero version are you using?
Have you tried reading those discs in another drive?

nero 6.6.0.3
yes these are discs that worked fine before I have been using them for at least 5 months and they just stopped reading. The work in my laptop and my friends laptop just not the drive that burned them anymore

heres something strange. I just decided to throw it in the external encloser I have and it is working fine through the USB port.
This says to me its either a powersupply issue (which it shouldnt be... 600W OCZ PowerStream) or and IDE cable problem (but I have been using the same ide cable for some time.

I will post more as I find out

Stopped working? What kind of discs are you talking about? brand name
And what is your burner?

the dvd burner is a lite-on SOHW 1633s
the dvds are
Dynex, Maxell and Gigastore

well after swapping several cables (one at a time) I was not able to isolate the problem. I tried different IDE cables and different molex's but to no evail so I just threw it in the external enclosure. I wonder if its power related since as soon as its plugged into the 115 its running fine

Back