• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

machine check exception... suspecting my MSI mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stevefox100

Registered
yesterday when i was gaming on my pc, it suddenly crashed and a Bsod appeared and couldn't even see it as it very quickly disappeared right after my pc restarted on its own. The big problem here is that i am literally stuck on a restart loop and it happens right after my mobo posts, so the only thing i can access is the BIOS and boot menu.

the solutions i have tried so far are:
- Reseating the cpu and the heatsink
- CMOS reset
- i literally tried every harddrive in my pc by unplugging each one and trying to boot from my win 7 DVD. (note i have win 10 but i was trying to revert back but even then i got Win 7 Bsod just like win 10)
-even attempting to format my pc doesn't work since after the windows loading files screen i get the same BSOD which i believe dismisses the problem of a harddrive to be the issue.
- i tried switching my rams slots and even using 1 ram stick still the same thing.
-i tried removing and unplugging many things uncluding my graphics card and still the same issue.
- and lastly i did try flashing my BIOS using my old rusty laptop to download it, and that didn't help at all same thing kept happening

basically i have tried so many solutions i found on many websites and i couldn't fix it nor even get my pc to boot all the way in. even tried to do safe mode through my win 7 cd and got the same BSOD :( . So i am really suspecting my mobo to be the issue here since testing every ram in all slots didn't change anything and none of my harddrives seem to be the issue, the odds of a CPU to be faulty are not that likely and it's a 40 days old cpu only, and i also kind of doubt a software issue cause as i have mentioned before both win 10 wouldn't boot nor booting win 7 from dvd so maybe mobo rejecting them ? I would really like some insight on this issue as i am not very experienced about solving such things.

Pc specs:
cpu: i7 7700k stock speed
gpu: gtx 1080 zotac stock speed
rams: ddr4 corsair vengeance LPX 3000 MHZ
mobo: MSI z270 gaming plus
PSU: corsair cx750

note: i do not have any other pc nor spare parts that are compatible wih this mobo, and no spare psu to test (in case the psu is faulty), and MOBO/CPU/Rams all 40 days old only.

any help is appreciated guys !

yesterday when i was gaming on my pc, it suddenly crashed and a Bsod appeared and couldn't even see it as it very quickly disappeared right after my pc restarted on its own. The big problem here is that i am literally stuck on a restart loop and it happens right after my mobo posts, so the only thing i can access is the BIOS and boot menu.

the solutions i have tried so far are:
- Reseating the cpu and the heatsink
- CMOS reset
- i literally tried every harddrive in my pc by unplugging each one and trying to boot from my win 7 DVD. (note i have win 10 but i was trying to revert back but even then i got Win 7 Bsod just like win 10)
-even attempting to format my pc doesn't work since after the windows loading files screen i get the same BSOD which i believe dismisses the problem of a harddrive to be the issue.
- i tried switching my rams slots and even using 1 ram stick still the same thing.
-i tried removing and unplugging many things uncluding my graphics card and still the same issue.
- and lastly i did try flashing my BIOS using my old rusty laptop to download it, and that didn't help at all same thing kept happening

basically i have tried so many solutions i found on many websites and i couldn't fix it nor even get my pc to boot all the way in. even tried to do safe mode through my win 7 cd and got the same BSOD :( . So i am really suspecting my mobo to be the issue here since testing every ram in all slots didn't change anything and none of my harddrives seem to be the issue, the odds of a CPU to be faulty are not that likely and it's a 40 days old cpu only, and i also kind of doubt a software issue cause as i have mentioned before both win 10 wouldn't boot nor booting win 7 from dvd so maybe mobo rejecting them ? I would really like some insight on this issue as i am not very experienced about solving such things.

Pc specs:
cpu: i7 7700k stock speed
gpu: gtx 1080 zotac stock speed
rams: ddr4 corsair vengeance LPX 3000 MHZ
mobo: MSI z270 gaming plus
PSU: corsair cx750

note: i do not have any other pc nor spare parts that are compatible wih this mobo, and no spare psu to test (in case the psu is faulty), and MOBO/CPU/Rams all 40 days old only.

any help is appreciated guys !

Boot looping is normally software corruption but with it being so sudden it could very well be power related. First thing I'd start with is a bootable copy of memtest if you can make one. If that passes on a stick try using that stick to boot in safe mode if it still wont I'd go into the BIOS and start looking at the power supply rails, they all have to be within 5% of whatever it should be; ie 12v 11.4 to 12.4 etc etc. Normally dead boards snap,pop,smoke etc. I can't say that I personally had one die that wasn't from physical damage.

If you're able to boot in safe mode I'd start investigating any sort of overclocking tools you have installed or similar software. Secondly I would also boot into the recovery console and run a full thing of check disk

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872425.aspx

I normally run:
chkdsk /f /r /x /b

It'll take a loooong time but it'll spare you from reinstalling windows.

If memtest works then you could try a Linux live disk . This will take your HDD out of the equation .
Did you try removing the 1080 and using the onboard gfx ?
Call a friend and get them to bring a PSU over =)

Sorry for your bad luck hopefully we can get this system going for you .

If memtest works then you could try a Linux live disk . This will take your HDD out of the equation .
Did you try removing the 1080 and using the onboard gfx ?
Call a friend and get them to bring a PSU over =)

Sorry for your bad luck hopefully we can get this system going for you .

yes i pulled out my 1080 and nothing changed i've been testing with the card out of my rig just to be sure it's not the problem and it seems it isn't, i will be trying memetest soon and i will give linux live disk a go too although the pc is stuck not matter which harddrive out of the 3 i have i plug, and as i said in the original post even wouldn't boot through my win 7 CD it displays the samw BSOD after the "windows loading files" screen and where it says starting windows before it lets u start the win7 set up process. Anw thank you for the suggestions and sadly not many close friends in this Area that live in.

- - - Updated - - -

thank you for the suggestions i will be checking on memtest to exclude my rams completely out of this, and check my PSU voltages. If both seem to be okay, then what would you suggest ?

i did notice a spike in CPU temps was usually between 35-40 idle now around 43-44 idle and when i move my mouse etc the temp goes up to 47, that maybe cause i did remove the heatsink and replaced the thermal paste and reseated it, so it's still sort of fresh i am assuming that's why. Another thing that happened during memtest86 only about 10 sec into it the pc restarted and went into the restart loop again into bluescreening :(
i will post some images soon about the memtest and when the progress stops and some BIOS pictures.

i am not sure if at this point it's a software issue since my SSD is empty now.

i am not sure if at this point it's a software issue since my SSD is empty now.

Steve,

You didn't overdo the thermal paste? Like too much and some ran out the side into the pins? Just sayin' since we're looking for any possibility and I'm talking from experience some years ago! :( :)

Steve,

You didn't overdo the thermal paste? Like too much and some ran out the side into the pins? Just sayin' since we're looking for any possibility and I'm talking from experience some years ago! :( :)
i actually did before i removed the heatsink cause man i opened it and my whole cpu was covered so i might look into that, good point. Do you suggest cleaning the socket and the cpu carefully ?

The whole top of the CPU should be covered .

Do not clean then socket unless you have to and then IDK how you would those pins bend so easy .

The whole top of the CPU should be covered .

Do not clean then socket unless you have to and then IDK how you would those pins bend so easy .

yeah usually the top of the cpu is covered and i did wipe all the cpu's top and the heatsinks bettom when i reseated the sink, but i did not check the pins nor the socket if they had anything on them

if i remember well the new i7 doesn't have long pins that bend, its pins are super short even flat not like the older ones that i had before from what i remember

Pins are on the MB not the cpu

gotcha, i will be trying to check the cpu and the heatsink again tomorrow, but right now i was able to run windows memory diagnostic tool, i am running a standard test it's on pass #4 still no issues. I am trying to get rams out of way cause i believe the problem isn't from them. Tomorrow i will try to get a new PSU from the best buy near me and see if that can fix my problem, otherwise i will have to return it and that would leave me with the mobo that has 3 years warranty and i already have a long message set for MSI for a RMA.

i did try a new powersupply and the same BSOD came up. At this point i can fairly assume that the problem is coming from my motherboard as everything else doesn't seem to be the problem after all the testing and swapping i have done.

Back