• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD device keeps "unplugging in and out"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoBioN

I have a issue with my DVD device like loosing connection multiple times in a row occasionaly.

its connected through a Intel SATA port on a Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 motherboard. And in a AHCI mode.

When it happens, The PC plays the "USB plug in / USB plug out" Notifications like 5-6 times in a row pretty quickly. and then stops, and does it again quickly in a row sometime later. not sure if its periodically

I tried replacing the SATA cable and plugging it into a different Intel SATA port. But this did not fix it.

Is it the motherboard or the DVD drive?. its a samsung Drive, not sure what model auctually, Since i had it for free (from new) and just mounted it right away.

EDIT: When it makes the "unplug" Sound and stays that way, if i go into the Device in the Device manager, it says a Kode 10 (the device could not start) error

Last edited:
Do you have another computer you could try it in or another drive to test in your system?

Do you have another computer you could try it in or another drive to test in your system?

unfortunatly not, i do have a HTPC though, but not one i built myself, so not to fond of taking it apart.

is it possible that some kind of "sleep mode" is activated and it is flipping out over that?

Not likely, but you could disable them in Windows. Also, make sure both cables (power and data) are secure.

I would tend to think the drive is dead before the motherboard, since Windows works fine.

When it makes the "unplug" Sound and stays that way, if i go into the Device in the Device manager, it says a Kode 10 (the device could not start) error

Oh, I thought it was constantly connecting and dropping.

If you have tried other cables and ports on the motherboard, I'd say it is the DVD drive.

Most of the time it connects / disconnects fast in a row, and then stays connected, but i tried just and wait out a few of these burst of connections and 2 of the times it stayed disconnected.

Back